Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Tuesday evening stuff

* I may have overdone it or hurt myself with the calisthenics this morning. I felt really tired much of the day and now my shoulders hurt a little. Well, that means I need to change up the exercise. (Or maybe not try to do push-ups any more. Or at least not the "toe" kind of push-ups.)

* One bit of good news: we got at least an inch and a half of rain today and the sewing room stayed dry. I came home at lunchtime, ran back there. The floor was dry. Felt of the ceiling, it was dry. Good. Now when I get a minute I should hit those areas with some Kilz and maybe re-mud where my earlier repair cracked.

My eventual goal for the room - maybe Spring Break next year if I stay here - is to pull EVERYTHING out of it, clean the walls well, and then paint them a fun color like pale pink or turquoise. I went with off-white when I first moved in but often when I'm in there, I think, "This would be one room where I could totally do whatever I wanted with the colors."

Or maybe a lilac color. Or a very pale yellow green. At some point I should get paint chips (well, when I'm closer to actually being able to do it) and figure out what I want. I'm thinking a very light color, like just a bit of a tint to the white base, will look best; if you're in a room where being able to match colors (like when you're quilting), too strong of a wall color can affect your ability to do that matching.

* One thing I did do this afternoon was to sew up backings for two quilt tops I had hanging around. I went to the quilt shop Saturday (the new Quilty was in and I wanted to get it) and I mentioned to the woman working there that I needed to get it in gear and bring a few more tops in. She did note that the quilter had a lot stacked up in the queue, but that's okay, these are for me, so it doesn't matter greatly if it takes a while for them to come back to me.

One of them is this one. I did wind up buying a big piece of pink-with-tickets for the back - Fat Quarter Shop had it on a good sale one day. I think I'm going to ask for this to be quilted with spirals or another design that has abstract circles, and have pink thread on it.

The other one is the Walk in the Woods one. I have a piece of the theme fabric (light blue with tiny foxes on it) for the backing. I think this one will have to be quilted in white, and I'm thinking if the quilter has a panto of daisies or some other kind of stylized "petal" flower, I might pick that.

I'd love to hand quilt more of my tops, but I never seem to get to doing much of it, and I'd rather have quilts I can use and enjoy. And anyway, some of these more modern designs look really good with the pantograph-style longarm quilting.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

My sister-in-law painted her bathroom a very pale pink - so pale that you can't tell it's not white until you see it with something actually white next to it. It's a very pleasant and flattering color.