Thursday, May 16, 2013

The afternoon's work

Yeah, I needed to do something different. One of the problems with research and me is that I get my head so much into it that I can't see out if things aren't going perfectly. (Not many bees, and also, I'm struggling to identify some of them. I need a better key. One thing I am going to look for over break are better keys to the main families I need to know.)

It was still really wet out after lunch - no idea how much rain we got but the news was saying we got close to 2" of rain overnight last night - so there was no sense in trying to sample. (There may not be tomorrow morning, but I could try an afternoon sampling to see what I get)

It's also too wet out to photograph quilt tops the way I usually do, hung on my clothesline (which I don't use to dry clothes - too much pollen, too many birds, and too much chance of my neighbor's escape-artist dog getting into the yard and pulling stuff off the line). So I did second best:

wonky four patch

The pattern I used is called "Flagstone" but I think of it as "wonky four-patch" because it kind of is.

I like this top. I REALLY like this top. The colors are different, the patterns are kind of odd - somewhere between mid-century, mod, and hipster - but there's just something really endearing to me about it. I think the wonky four-patch was the best pattern I could use with these fabrics - to my eye, it just *works*.

Here's a close-up.

wonky four patch close up

I'm almost tempted, since I like it so much, to see if I can get my hands on enough of that pink-background ticket print for the backing, instead of using the out-of-the-stash pink stripe. I'll have to think about it.

No comments: