Tuesday, August 20, 2024

back to normal?

 So I decided to let the house AC run overnight even though last evening it persistently stayed at 81 F. I figured "well, if I burn out the motor, I probably needed a new unit anyway"

At one point in the night, I heard it kick off (I had it set at 78) so I got up and punched it down another degree, and then a couple more when I got up to use the bathroom

And I woke up to this:

It's also not having to run right now.

So maybe the guys really DID fix it with their cleaning and little bit more refrigerant, and my house had just built up such a load of heat from the incredibly hot days, that it had to be dissipated first? I know that walls and foundations can hold a lot of heat (I have a pier-and-beam house, so there's no slab to retain heat, but still).

I'll see how it's doing (I raised the set temperature a couple more degrees so it wouldn't run needlessly when I'm away from home) when I get home at lunch but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Also, this is apparently the end of the extremely hot weather - no more temperatures over 100 predicted for the next few days, when these past couple days it had been 108 a couple times.


2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

yay!

Kelly Sedinger said...

Yes, it takes a LONG time for an A/C unit to extract all the ambient heat from a house where it's had a long time to build up, especially if air flow was compromised on the condenser coil. You might want to also switch the fan to "On" (instead of "Auto") and turn off the compressor for a little while once or twice a day, to keep the evaporator coil from icing up. You'll know it's iced up if you hear the compressor and the fans running but no air is coming out of your ducts.