Friday, January 14, 2022

this and that

 * Dodged a bullet by telling myself "Don't be the gunner, don't feel like you have to "save" this situation" - our grad assistant got hired away for a better paid job, and it left four labs uncovered when they left. The department chair said something about "can we try to hire someone" (which would be my first choice) but I suspect that's going to be difficult. So instead, she asked for temporary-to-permanent replacements by faculty volunteering over and above their loads. (Unless you get up to 16 contact hours - which is hard, since a 2-3 hour lab only counts as one contact hour - there's no extra pay).

In the before time I might have jumped on the Wednesday late-afternoon lab. Even though Wednesday is one of my harder days to begin with, even though I have three labs already this semester. 

But this time - well, I thought of how I melted down totally yesterday when I couldn't find the assessment tests (not my fault: someone left them locked in a different room than any of the four places they might normally be kept) and realized I'm too close to the edge, so maybe I need to sit on my hands a bit and hope someone else steps up.

Someone did, this morning. (The other labs were either covered already, or were at times I was in lab myself). 

I'm still hoping we can hire someone, or at a minimum the people who are taking this on get a fraction of the pay the GTA got, because really? Things are a lot harder now.

* I should have a new kitchen faucet and no leaks in it by the end of today. Oh, there can always be hangups but I'm hopeful. I might make some more-complicated thing this weekend rather than the minimal cooking I've been doing. Maybe soup? It's supposed to be cold.

* probably not going to drop off my quilt top and backing. I did sew up the backing (for the smaller quilt, could not handle the idea of piecing a giant back for the Vignere Cipher quilt). It's supposed to be very windy, and rain maybe transitioning to snow tomorrow. And given that our hospitals are full up, rapid tests are now reserved ONLY for health care workers (everyone else must have their swabs sent off and wait several days), I figure every risk of injury I can reduce (not wanting to get in a car accident or maybe slip on a wet sidewalk) is wise. I'm disappointed but the coupon will be good for a few more weeks so maybe Friday afternoon I could do that? 

 * I did pull out Incunabula again (I didn't work on it AT ALL over Christmas break....) Got a couple rows knit but then the ball of yarn got all tangled (well, not really a ball, it was sort of a half-cake half-skein put up) so I had to stop and find the other end and roll it up into a ball....and I might just do that with each of the other skeins before I start adding them in. 

I think I need to force myself to do more knitting or handsewing; I think I feel a bit better when I am doing that. It's just, a lot of these days, with everything ELSE going on it's hard to make time, and staying up even an extra 15 minutes at night isn't good; I need more sleep now.

* I also need to figure something out that is sparkly and nice and fun and will make me feel good. Probably i need to just start bunging stuff in boxes without trying to sort - I have stuff strewn all over my living room now as I try to sort "what books could I dispose of, what do I really want to keep, what about the magazines? and kind of wanting to get all the Interweave Knits together in one place because that's my favorite and I would like them together.

also maybe take a Lowe's run if the plumber gets done fast enough. I need more box tape, and if they have more plastic tubs in stock I get some more. It's expensive to do that but so much superior for sorting fabric and yarn that it feels worth it to me.

* I did break down and buy two frivolous things after saying I was not buying another single "unnecessary" item. I ordered  a Hatsune Miku plush (I know, but the combination of "sort of doll/Minky is appealing) earlier this week when I was stressed out, and last night I decided to order one of Sophie Scruggs' "Rarity Equestria Girls" plushies, which will match the Fluttershy I already have from Abigail Starling. Expensive, yes, but I'm considering it an early birthday present and having some nice things coming in the mail makes a difference.

I also have one of the Asterix omnibi on its way to me; I ordered #5 and #6 on pre-order and then forgot about them until Bookshop sent me the e-mail that #5 is now shipping....


**Update: plumber is here! He had to get intake lines, they were not included, but he got the metal-mesh covered kind so now if I get rodents again they will not be able to eat them! I am embarrassingly excited about this. Having a fully working sink that doesn't leak once again will make an enormous difference to me. Next step of course is getting Randall out to fix the subflooring and undercabinet, then I can get a dishwasher (and new floor treatment in the kitchen). 


***IT'S FIXED. I have a sink again

No comments: