Friday, January 14, 2022

Week ended better

 This week ended a lot better than it started, largely because:



That is the new faucet. The plumber, knowing I had had rodent issues, got the metal-mesh coated intake lines for it and noted that I wouldn't need to foil wrap them now. I am happy about that. He bought them out of his own pocket so I gave him cash for that (plus a bit extra, I didn't have exact change but I DON'T CARE) and then wrote a check to the plumbing company because they then pay him his labor out of that. He also hauled off the old faucet (asked me if I wanted it, I said no. It's possible in an emergency it could be reused or heck, he might be able to get a few bucks for the metal in it)

The new one works a lot better. I wonder if the old one - which was already in the house when I bought it 20 years ago - was starting to plug up with limescale, we have very hard water here and calcium carbonate is the dominant chemical species in it, so you basically get rocks in your water line.

So now I can easily wash dishes again with no leaks, and I don't have the worry of "what if something eats the lines." (I think the rats are gone, anyway, now that the hoarder house has been cleared out, and I have seen no sign for a couple weeks. Am still going to get an exterminator out once I've cleared the extra stuff out of the closets and such). 

So I'm gonna make a Lowe's run to get supplies for weekend packing (and hauling to the unit, on Monday) and a post office run. And I think I am going to get a celebratory pizza for dinner - I wanted one the other night but had spinach I needed to fix, so I made sauteed spinach instead (I am not eating raw vegetables currently - risk of food poisoning and also raw things tend to react badly with my digestion). And I think tonight I will relax. 

I'm hoping this is a good omen for the other house repairs; next thing is to get the guy on the subfloor and cabinet fix, then get him on the drywall fix, then get a new dishwasher, then paint my sewing room, and then arrange for a new roof and siding. And if there's still money (or if I save up enough; I am being very frugal right now seeing as I have Too Much Stuff), I will hire the guy again to put up wall shelves in the sewing room so I can stack my fabric on them and have it nicely accessible.

I am really hoping that maybe by fall/early winter 2022, I will have all this stuff fixed, will have a house I feel more secure in (not worrying about rodents) and things will LOOK better and I will have a more functional sewing room and guest room.

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

YAY! When my wife and I first got married and then bought a house a year later, my wife was in grad school and I was in my underpaid job. So we could not afford any repairs. But we HAD to get a new faucet. Turning on the water was driving with a clutch but you could never find what gear you were in.