Tuesday, January 11, 2022

and somewhat better

 at about 4:30 the plumber called - he needed my address again, but he showed up shortly after. 

The news is better than I hoped - he filled both basins of the sink and looked for leaks, pronounced the sink itself sound; the drip I was seeing was water running across to the damaged cold-water line and then running down and dripping of the sink. 

So I am keeping the sink - it's perfectly sound, it looks no worse than a NEW sink would, and it will save both money and effort. They did suggest replacing the faucet (which drips) and the lines to it, so I told them I'd get a faucet set up (they said it was standard so I couldn't go too far wrong as long as I got one set up for three holes) and they will come back.

I ran out and did that after they left. Got the one I wanted without too much effort. I admit I looked at the box and thought "Hell, *I* could probably install this" but I had kind of verbally promised I'd hire the plumbers to do it, and frankly, it might be more aggravation than I want to do it myself anyway. (At any rate: I figure I saved about $300 by not having to replace the sink)

The young guy did comment, when I apologetically said I had wrapped stuff in aluminum foil to try to deter rats, "Oh, you were smart to do that! Rats won't chew through it" and I don't know if that's strictly true or not (and anyway, I think the rats are all dead and gone- no triggered traps, no "sign," and also, the house a couple doors north of me? That was a reputed hoarder-house causing neighborhood rodent problems? A hazmat cleaning crew was there clearing stuff out today and throwing it in Dumpsters. I don't know if the rumors of meth use [and maybe production?] were true, or if it was merely vermin - but if it's vermin, and they're gone, good for all the rest of us)

At least he didn't make me feel stupid for my precaution and I cling to every bit of evidence these days that I'm not stupid.

I mean, this is the minorest of repairs I am needing to have done, but it's also the most urgent, and the thought that MAYBE by the end of next week I'll have a 100% functional sink again cheers me up a good bit.

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

You're definitely NOT stupid.