Saturday, July 25, 2015

failing at lazy?

Apparently, I do.

I knit a bunch on a donation-hat last night. But then this morning I decided to do some research-reading, and so spend a couple hours going through the backlog of articles I had set aside. (I need to be more disciplined about this; during the semester I get busy and tired and don't do it, but I need to, in order to keep up with how things change). And anyway, it keeps my mind active. (I read one on how it's now thought that older-growth forests, especially in the midatlantic region, are better at sequestering carbon than once thought. And one proposing a definition of "old growth" that could fit grasslands. And another one about stream architecture and how it affects plant diversity on the streambanks and things like plant dispersal.)

Then I decided I wanted to take a couple of tops in to the quilt shop....the most-recently finished top and a much-older top with a Texas Wildflowers theme. (I had found a backing fabric that was just irresistible for this one on my last trip to JoAnn's - I did have a bandanna print that would have worked but when I saw the vintage-style print of Texas bluebonnets on a white background (and with both "The Lone Star State" and "Texas State Flower the Bluebonnet" on it) I really wanted THAT for the back instead. (I can use some of the bandanna print for the binding.)

Of course, that required ironing off and cutting and sewing....sewing backings is kind of an effort even though it's usually just a long, straight seam, but it's a huge quantity of fabric to wrestle. And there's the added concern that you have to cut it just right (especially if you've cut it close on having enough fabric) in order to get it big enough. (For longarm quilting, the standard is 8" bigger in each dimension than the top is - so they can attach it in to the machine)

But I got that done, and folded them up and took them down. They should be done in September, maybe early October. I expressed approval at the "end of September" projected date and they asked if they were for Christmas presents and I laughed and said they were for me....and then the woman who does the quilting said, "Then you won't call me up and yell at me if they're not done until early October then?" And I kind of laughed and said that was fine, if someone came in demanding their quilt be done right then, I wouldn't mind waiting a little. I figure being "nice" and flexible like that when I can pays dividends. (And people being what they are, I suppose she HAS had people call her up and yell at her....but the thing is, if you're someone who makes stuff, you tend to understand that deadlines can't always be deadlines, and stuff happens....and yeah, it would stink if you were wanting to put the quilt in a show or something, but I kind of feel like YOU have to plan in advance and allow some flexible time if someone else is doing part of the work....)

I also dug out some of the yarn for the over-break projects, and I found some yarn and a pattern I had put aside (for yet another stole, this one is called the Scotch Thistle lace stole and I have some green-and-purple Lorna's Laces sockyarn for it - I've had it in the stash for years and maybe it's time to start it.

(I have to decide whether to take that or the Hagrid sweater as my "big" carry along project. I'll have to think on it.)

And finally, after getting back from the quilt shop, I did the workout dvd because all the sitting yesterday made my back hurt a little, and working out usually helps it, and also I feel less "blah" after having worked out...

So yeah. Not very good at being lazy.

1 comment:

besshaile said...

LOL! well. I have a hard time being lazy too - though today I sort of threw a tantrum about it and actually did zero.

Of course I cleaned the kitchen. And I paid bills. And filed stuff away but you know - not anything REAL.