Friday, July 24, 2015

Declaring lazy weekend

I got stuff done today....

1. I had the six-month checkup with my internist that I guess people with high blood pressure are condemned to have to do. (Normally, I had annual checkups with a doctor). The only bad thing was I had neglected to have the blood panels done. I can get them done there but it requires fasting and then coming in on a weekday, and I guess they open at 9? Well, maybe that week when I get back, before classes officially start, there will be a day when the meetings start late enough that I can do that.

Or I go and teach my 9 am some day on an empty stomach and then go have it done. Or go to the ER for it on a Saturday but I suspect her hint of having it done in-house was that it's cheaper.

Or I could just figure that I've been eating healthfully enough and go do it Tuesday before I leave town. (I worry, though I am probably more careful than many people. I mainly worry about blood sugar as my dad is pre-diabetic and I do occasionally like a bit of chocolate or dish of gelato...but I also don't drink soda or eat much bread or potatoes, so....)

The doctor did ask me if I ate many "processed" foods. (We had this discussion before, when I first started there. And no, I really don't). I admit I wanted to ask "what do you mean by processed" because I know some people who think cooking a vegetable is "processing" it and technically it is, but I decided that she probably meant stuff like frozen dinners and I said no.

I probably eat less than the average American but more than the average hippie. I also considered saying that but figured it wouldn't be helpful. (For what it's worth: most pre-prepared meals are outside my sodium budget but I DO use some canned things, like beets and low-sodium beans, and occasionally use spaghetti sauce if I can find one low enough in sodium)

I don't know. Diet is a big issue. I admit if after my blood work I turn up prediabetic I might just try to figure out some kind of "human chow" or soylent (but without soy; I'm mildly allergic to it) and just consign myself to living on that until my blood numbers improve.

(I'm probably being more perfectionist about this than I should. Typical breakfast: oatmeal done in the microwave with a small handful of high-cacao bittersweet chocolate chips, typical lunch, plain yogurt, cheese, fruit, typical dinner: often stir fried spinach, some other vegetable, maybe a fruit, maybe something like some canned salmon. Snacks: a dish of gelato or a few cookies. Maybe a cup of tea with 'sticky milk' in it. Other beverages: water, skim milk, unsweetened seltzer water, occasionally a coconut water. It's just, there's SUCH a drumbeat about Type II diabetes on the health news that I get worried about it)

2. I edged the yard and cut all the stupid privet and mulberry and winged elm and whatever else seedlings out of the front gardens. Did a little on the back but ran out of steam. (I reserve the option to do more in the back on Saturday if I feel like it)

3. Did the necessary pre-trip stuff like arranging a mail hold.

4. Wrote the Sunday school lesson.

So anyway: it's also really hot. The air conditioning is struggling (despite it being a new unit) to get it below 78 in here. So I think I'm going to get into something cooler than the skirt and top I wore to the doctor's (I changed into old clothes for yardwork and then back to run errands....) and sit here and knit on something. Still thinking about what projects to take; I found a simple columnar-lace sock pattern I want to do out of some neon yarn I bought but I can't decide whether to use the electric-bubblegum-pink or the Granny-Smith-Green for it....

I also have to wind off a couple skeins to take with me for future projects (the Rainbow Unicorn Glitter Fight yarn for plain socks, a blue and grey variegated for a shawl) and figure out some other projects.

But also, I kind of want to be lazy this weekend because I've spent most of the summer not-being-lazy and I'm tired and it's also really hot out. 

No comments: