Sunday, July 26, 2015

New quilt begun

I finished cutting the background fabrics (80 each of squares, two different sizes of rectangles, and then 40 of the biggest rectangle) for this quilt today.

I think I'm going to cut the focus fabrics block by block and make the blocks one at a time. I made the first block before completing cutting the backgrounds just to be sure it "worked" (sometimes quilt blocks don't, because of an error in the pattern). And then I made three more:

new blocks

It's a modification of a Log Cabin block; each of the big blocks is made of four subunits - kind of like a Log Cabin block where the "hearth" (the square that is central in traditional Log Cabins; it is traditionally red or orange to symbolize the hearth) is off in one corner rather than the center.

I can also see how you could arrange the sub-blocks differently (here they are almost in a garden-path type arrangement) to get a different look.

The original quilt is from that "Generation Q" magazine I was talking about a while back - the original quilt was in a pale grey for the background and different shades of violet for the focus fabric, but I went with my own colors here.

The finished quilt takes 20 blocks; it is slightly shorter than a twin-bed quilt but about the same width. I could also see making it bigger (If I had more of the background fabric, I'd add another row to make it longer) or using a different color scheme.

Here's a close up of my current favorite block:

close up of blocks.

also, I have to say, unless in the next day or two I'm hit with some real posting inspiration, I will be taking a short blog-vacation along with my real vacation - normally I do embargoed posts but I'm kind of out of ideas at the moment, so it might be 10 days or so before I post again. (Just saying that so no one worries).

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Beautiful! I love the colors in this one.