* I did take more books to the library yesterday for the used book sale. I could probably get rid of MORE, but Monday is the last day they accept them and I don't think I have the energy to cull more this weekend. (We don't have little free libraries here, at least, I've never seen one. We have blessing-boxes, where people leave nonperishable food or hygiene items for the people who fall through even the cracks of the food-bank system).
I suppose I could look into something like Books for Africa, at least for the "educational" or science books.
* I'm still working on the sweater. I think I like colorwork now? Or at least this part of it - when I have to do the knit-flat part of the yoke where the design is asymmetrical I bet I slow down a lot. (Right now, it's just "lice" and whatever you call the little plus-shaped designs)
* The new Knitty is out. I really like Spell Check and I think I have enough of a sort-of-caramel colored worsted weight I bought years ago (I think it was from the short-lived yarn shop in Normal, so I might have had it as long as 10 years). If there's not enough of that I do have some reddish purple yarn that I know I have enough of (7 skeins of 220 yards). I think I prefer the caramel color. And for the pocket edges, I have MANY sockyarns I could repurpose; I know I have some pink and brown combinations that would look good with the caramel color.
But first I have to get some other projects finished.
* I will say these days are struggles. It's still very hot - 20 degrees or more over the normal, and I'm at the point of not knowing if this is El Nino (and so might not happen next year), or if this is just what to expect now (because of climate change). If it's the second I may have to consider moving away when I retire; close to two months solid of no rain and temperatures not sensibly different from 105 F is really getting me down. It doesn't help one bit that the lab side of the building still doesn't have its air conditioning fixed; they're still apparently fabricating the unit and I wonder if the various tariff and "we're not going to do business with that country" nonsense is slowing things down.
And to try to move the air around, we have big industrial fans in the halls. They're starting to blow fuses when we try to use other equipment (anything that heats) and the NOISE is very wearing to listen to.
I don't know. I need something fun but it's too hot to be outside and I can't think of anything indoors I would want to do. (And at any rate: I could not bring myself to grade the project proposals on top of doing a biostats homework and grading a set of article critiques for another class, so I must do it tomorrow).
No comments:
Post a Comment