It's been a long week. I haven't done a lot of knitting, mostly working on the hat, but it's been hot, it will be hot for a long time, and it's one of those times where I wonder if we'll ever be able to wear knitted things again so what's even the point? I'm running through my thin summer dresses and skirts for teaching and I am heartily tired of all my summer clothes.
I just want a change. Cooler temperatures and/or rain. I also haven't been able to get out of town (the construction, and the heat - last weekend it was like 106) and I think that weighs on me; I need a little time away from thoughts about work or the worries of the little town (I don't think I'll go tomorrow; it's knitting Zoom and also next weekend is Labor Day, so if I go Saturday than I have two full other days to either rest or get caught up)
Also, it's those late-summer doldrums where rather than scripted shows all the networks show their depraved "reality" contest shows, which I dislike (and which feel like a cheat to me: I'm sure there's no shortage of narcissists who think it'll make their career willing to work for less money than actors will, and really no writers needed, and minimal sets....)
Most of the other cable channels, unless I can catch a cartoon I like or something like the Yukon Vet aren't interesting or enjoyable.
So I've gone back to TCM on the grounds of "even if this isn't a movie that seems like my cup of tea* I can still watch it, there are no ads to pull me out of paying attention and maybe I'll come to like it"
Though tonight, "To Kill a Mockingbird," which I DO like, is on, so I'm watching it.
Last night was "All About Eve," which was okay (I don't like movies about scheming people, or people where you're not really sure of their motives) but I wish I had had the energy (and didn't have an 8 am class) to stay up for "A Catered Affair" (Another Bette Davis movie, but here she is playing against what I think of as her "type" - she is a working-class Bronx housewife with a cab-driver husband and two grown kids, and Barry Fitzgerald (who I always enjoy in things) as an Irish uncle (I presume of Aggie, Bette Davis' character). And again, it's one of those slice-of-life, "tell me how you live" seeming sort of things I enjoy - but it was late and I was tired and being alert for class matters more.
I'm still working alternately on "Proto" and on "Far from the Madding Crowd" (which I restarted after losing the thread of it, but that's fine).
No comments:
Post a Comment