Tuesday, October 01, 2024

And Tuesday evening

 * Just kind of a long day. Taught my class, did some grading, went home for lunch, came back, did a couple hours research work. 

* I also got a new watchband for my Stitch watch - the buckle of the band had broken off. It took a while because the jewelry shopclerk really had to search for the right size - I got literally the last size 18 band they had there (I think that's the mm measurement of the place where the band hooks on). I went there even though I figured I'd pay a bit more because they're more helpful than the alternative (wal-mart) and I knew they'd put the band on for me (which can be tricky) and a lot of times the big-box stores are like "we're not allowed to do that"

* I finished "Death on the Cherwell" the other night. The basic story was good and I guess for that sort of thing it was fairly well-written, but the ending was slightly disappointing; they use a common trope in a lot of those 30s/40s British murder mysteries, where the perpetrator feels enough remorse (apparently) or doesn't want to go to trial, and so they take matters into their own hands....and it feels like justice has been cheated. (Also, the perpetrator was a character I might have found sympathetic).

The precipitating reason was something that was a scandal then, that likely would not have been seen as such now. 

* I also went back to reading Black Out. I found I didn't have to backtrack despite not having read on it for over a week - that doesn't often happen but I guess the characters and situations are memorable enough. That said: it still makes me slightly anxious because I wonder if and how the time-travellers will get home, and if everything is really "going to come right in the end" as the Vicar said. 

One of the characters is dealing with the sadness and horror of realizing a group of people she'd become friendly with ("contemps," or people living in the era she was visiting) were killed when the church basement they were sheltering in (and which she had sheltered in on a previous night) was bombed. 

It's kind of a hard read. Like I said, knowing Connie Willis and based on some foreshadowing things it will probably come out okay, but.....yeah, like life, you have to go through the hard parts. 


No comments: