Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Big mail day

 I had ordered a couple things (and one was a premium item, and another was a gift). They ALL came today. (I really prefer it when packages are spaced out, but I suppose it might be easier for the USPS folks)

Today was not a wonderful day. Some of the things I can't really talk about. But I dealt with a student who very much wanted me to break the rules for them and didn't want to accept that I could not and would not. It ate up an entire hour of my pre-class time (time I had planned to use to write an exam).

Then I found out more about the renovation, and let me say: yikes. 

They are talking about bringing in PORTA POTTIES because they think the remaining restrooms (a men's and women's on each floor, one with two toilets, the other with one, and a unisex bathroom in the animal facility) won't be enough if we wind up teaching any labs in the research labs. (Also I suppose if the bathrooms get overwhelmed from higher use and shut down.

I just.....I don't want to go back to the early 1900s with a fricking outhouse in the middle of winter, even a winter HERE where it's warmer. 

And it's going to be loud, and we may not be able to store stuff where I planned to because that area may not be easily accessible with the trucks and stuff. I am still lobbying to NOT teach one of my lab intensive classes just to avoid the headaches (and also: If I forget ONE vital piece of glassware before the construction starts, I won't be able to do that lab. I don't see how I am going to make this work)

 Maybe I just take early retirement if this semester is too bad and if I don't get much in the way of logistical support and everything's a mess. 

And there were a few other upsetting things, as I said, I can't talk about them all.

But things were better after I got home. The tightness in my shoulders mostly went away and my stomach got less upset. (I've begun experiencing some physical symptoms of stress while at work, I think it's related to a couple of the difficult people I've had to deal with lately.)

One thing I'd been waiting for for a while. It was, I guess, custom printed when ordered, and then, it took FOREVER for the package to wend its way to me. This is from lindzeamays illustration, she has hats and shirts and stickers and magnets:


 

"Scavengers keep the Earth clean" - to go on my file cabinet at work. I have a few soil invertebrate art pieces already (yes, cockroaches count)

I also have a couple "coolembola" stickers from her with a springtail on them, I have to figure out how to put one up on my door without actually sticking it to my door. (in case I want to take it down later, like if I do, as I said, threaten to early-retire)

And the premium item - I got an e-mail about this, and realized I hadn't given money recently to Heifer Project, and you got this if you gave a certain amount of money:

Yet another tote bag. Or really: knitting project bag. (My first exams are coming up in 10 days so I will need to arrange to have a project with me.

And the surprise. My friend Purlewe said she was having something sent to me, but she didn't say what.


A mug- but a mug with a parody of Hopper's "Nighthawks" on it, replacing the figures (and adding a few more; Linda and Gene are standing out in the street, and you might be able to see Little King Trashmouth under the window) with character's from Bob's Burgers. 

(I have something for her, I just need to get a puffy envelope to send it.)

The mug came shipped in a styrofoam cube that held it very firmly; even the rough handling the mail gets here had it arrive fine.


The biggest thing though was something I'd contemplated for a couple months and finally decided to order after a couple bad days last month. 

There's a shop on Etsy where someone has designed plushies and then had them manufactured (keeps the cost down, and I suppose meets some safety standards a bit more neatly, though it does say on the tag they're not for small children). The shop is Little Softs, and these are supposedly things to hold when you're anxious

And yes, yes, I know I have MANY of these but I also get the "maybe THIS will fix me" syndrome (narrator voice: nothing really does)

But at least this will be the right size to hold when I sleep without throwing my shoulder out of whack 


She's supposed to be an Australian Shepherd dog. (It's not a great photo). I liked the style of this one slightly better than the other one I was considering (an Arctic fox) and also, I realized she looks very slightly (mostly in terms of coloration) like Calypso, the kind and wise kindergarten teacher on Bluey. 

Here I am with her, so you can get a better idea of the size

The little shirt can be taken off; on the maker's Etsy page they show one with a knitted sweater and so now I'm considering that. (Though I have enough projects for me that are not yet finished).



2 comments:

Purlewe said...

I I am so glad it got there safely. It made me laugh and I hope you have lots of nice tra this fall in it

Roger Owen Green said...

Duiring COVID, getting mail/packages was one of my great joys.