Thursday, August 29, 2024

Thursday night things

 * I finished the "Clumsy Cat" colorway socks. (The color doesn't really suggest cats or clumisness, but that's what Opal called it). It's a sportweight (I think they treat it more like it's a DK, but I used the number of stitches for a sportweight, the two are close.

I used a sort of broken rib pattern: k2 p2, with the even rows being plain knit

I didn't try to make them matching, I knew the pattern was a long repeat. They're CLOSE though, and you don't really notice. 

I did figure out what the colors remind me of:

My favorite "Cutie Mark Crusader" (Scootaloo). 

* I did pull out a stalled pair (I think the pattern is called "Dragon's Breath") and I think I can figure out where I was and get working on them again. It will be good to clear a few projects that I never finished.

* I am still reading on "Blackout." Willis uses the pattern of having several subplots (the experiences of several different time travelers) and each chapter is one of them - so you'll be reading about a character and it will just cut off, often at a cliffhanger spot.

Where I am right now, one chapter ended with a character I regard as sympathetic (well, all the time travelers are) MAY have died, and it raises the question for me: "if you die on time travel, does that mean you die in your own timeline?" The book seems to suggest yes, and anyway, it's not like the characters split themselves and send a duplicate into the past.

All of the characters (as you might guess from the title) are visiting WWII Britain, which can be harrowing at times. A few nights I looked at it and went "I can't with this right now" and read on the lighter "vintage mystery" novels instead. 

I find in recent years my tolerance for stories including characters in mortal peril has gone way down.

*It's been kind of a tiring week; I had several students who either had problems (where maybe I could help) or who were *being* problems (by their actions) and then also there are other things to be attended to - we are having MAJOR renovations coming in January and have been told that not only must everything in the labs be up off the floors, but we will also have to move every bit of equipment we will need for spring teaching and store it somewhere that WILL be accessible. (We do have a storage building, but it has bugs and mice so the things like the paper stuff - the guides to identifying insects, the set ups for the natural-selection simulation - can't go out there, I will have to store them in my research lab, which isn't on the reno list). My plan for ecology is (a) not to change any labs for spring and (b) take each week's supplies at the end of lab and put them in the storage place. This will add a few minutes and more effort but that means close to the end of the semester I will only have to think about what I need for soils and store it in the storage building.

* Soon I need to see if either of the pharmacies that will take my insurance will have the new covid shot. Last year it was a pain and I wound up having to use CVS - which does not- because both the other places said that they weren't going to get it in before January. Apparently the "end of the emergency" and also the abysmal uptake/outright antivaccination in some folks here lead to us not getting it as fast. (Getting it tomorrow would be ideal because I'd have an extra day - Monday - to recuperate, I could check at Walgreen's but I'm not terribly hopeful they'd have it yet. 

I do need to get the flu shot but i'm going to wait a few more weeks for that- I know you can get the flu shot and the covid one together but I usually react to shots, and I don't want to double up on reactions.

And in October I'll have to get the second shingles shot; I get a "vacation day" (a Friday) so I will try to get it the Thursday before that so if I'm laid up I can rest. I had about 12 hours of feeling tired and a day of feeling achy after the first one and I expect this one will be moreso....



No comments: