Monday, July 15, 2024

some slow progress

 * I'm a couple rows from being done with Chalcedony. I think I just finished row 9 (of 12) for the front band:


It's not terribly true to color, that photo. In real life it's darker and more of a blue - this looks gray or green.

* I will need to think about "next sweater" - I could (and probably should) finish A Cardigan for John, currently buried deep in my knitting basket. 

But also, my copy of "Farm and Fiber Knits" came Saturday and I really like the Chore Jacket in there, and also, I'm sure I have some yarn in my stash that would work for it - either a burgundy or a lavender, those are two I remember that I have a sweater-sized quantity of, and I'm sure there are a couple others. 

And I found the pattern for the Moon Moth pullover again, and I might like to start that. I'll have to think.

* One other thing I had ordered was a new pair of Birkenstocks. Buying mail order shoes is a gamble because it's hard for me to figure out the correct size - I take anywhere from a 7 1/2 to an 8 1/2 depending on how the shoe is built, and I have narrow feet. 

At least with Birkenstocks I know I need a 38 (European sizing) and narrow. So I ordered a pair with the vague hope that a more supportive footbed might help my knees.

I wore them today. It made a BIG difference. I think the problem is soft-soled shoes with less support are allowing my knee to flex backwards at times, and that HURTS. Apparently a thing in dealing with a damaged mensicus is to avoid "unnatural" positions for the knee, that that's what causes pain.

Honestly, if my knee always felt like it did today I would be FINE without surgery, and avoiding surgery is a goal here for me. So I'm hoping maybe a few weeks in really firm shoes will let some of the irritated muscles rebuild and maybe I can slowly transition back to wearing some of my other shoes? Or, if not....well, I buy a pair of black Birks (the ones I have are brown) and maybe a pair of the Tokio style (enclosed front) for really cold days and I just give away all my other shoes. 


No comments: