Thursday, July 11, 2024

at loose ends

 * I don't know whether to go in and work tomorrow (campus is technically closed on Fridays, and often they turn the airconditioning to a warmer temperature, and it's already too warm in the faculty offices) or stay here and clean/put away a lot of stuff. I'm leaning towards doing at least a partial cleaning - it might make me feel a bit better to have some of the clutter put away and to vacuum the floors again (and wet mop the kitchen and bathroom)

* I'm about 1/3 of the way through the top of the second sock, that's mainly what I've been working on. I'm going to try to work through a couple of the inprogress things before I start anything new - I also have the Chalcedony sweater to finish, and the pair of mitts, and a couple other things. 

* And I want to get back to the Moominhouse stuff and keep working on that, I need to finish that some day. 

* I finally got back to doing the PT stretches. I had got out of the practice of them when I pulled a muscle in my back (probably from having to walk a bit unevenly) and then I made it worse with having to deal with that windowshade and then carting the cut brush down to the curb the next day (in the heat - but the city DID come and haul it off, so that was good). 

I need to force myself to do those. My hips and lower back were hurting and now, after doing them, they're much better, and I can tell that my hamstrings are tight. 

I just have to have the discipline to do it, though realizing how much better I feel after doing it (after having not done it for over a week) it may motivate me more to keep doing it. 

It is kind of annoying though how much of a person's "free" time (in the sense of "time not at paid work or volunteer work or other obligations") in things dedicated to taking care of yourself. 

* That said - my phone records "walking asymmetry" (a measure of limping/walking unstably). I don't know how *absolutely* accurate it is - and I know when I work out and have to tuck the phone in my sports bra since I don't have pockets on the shorts I wear it's going to record a higher value from my upper body swaying side to side more than I would while walking) but the trendline, even if it's not giving the correct absolute value, shows a steady decline in asymmetry, which seems to be a good sign. And I can walk faster now than I did before. I don't know if I'll ever be able to run without having the yucky surgery, but honestly? I didn't run for like 30 years before the injury, I just walked fast when I had to get somewhere quickly.

I do still have times where I get pain if I walk too far, or too long on a hard surface, but I'm hoping it's partly weak muscles that will get better over time.  I'm managing between 3500 and 4000 steps most days, that seems fairly respectable. 

* It's very hot again. I might consider going out and doing something tomorrow or Saturday but it's supposed to be near on to 100F even without the heat index and I just can't with that. We might get some rain and cooler temperatures late next week. Summer just gets tiresome here because the weather never changes and it's so hot.

No comments: