Friday, May 31, 2024

Had to leave

 Long story but I am in the local Quality in for at least a couple days.


my elm tree came down while I was out of town. It didn't BREAK the power line, but the line is down on the ground and it partially pulled the meter  (and wow, did I struggle to remember that word while on the phone with people). O G and E came and shut off the power, but I have to get an electrician to repair the box's connection, and the city to sign off on the repair, and THEN O G and E will reconnect my power.


I hope they don't charge me a reconnect fee seeing as this was an emergency.


I also have to find a tree guy to cut up and get rid of the tree. And then get the cable guys to restore the cable - I have neither cable tv nor internet at home. (Well, I don't have power, either)


my friend Dana made room in her fridge for the spoilable food I bought, most of it has long shelf dates (milk and cheese). 


I just.....if anything else goes wrong I'd be tempted to hand in a resignation and just LEAVE. Send for my piano and some of my books at a later date and just move back to my mom's. And yes, the hotel room for five nights is ruinously expensive; I guess I won't be doing anything fun that costs money this summer. And the tree will be costly, and the electric repairs will be costly, and  Vyve will probably find a way to gouge me for the cable repair. (or maybe I just say "forget you" and see if I can get Dish, and get internet through it? IDK)

I just wish I were back in my HOUSE. And I wish everything was OK. but it isn't, it very much isn't. 

And the logistics of scheduling everything that needs to happen is undoing me - no one works Saturdays; there are no "emergency" electricians, and often workers here seem to think that people with this kind of urgent rendering-their-house-unlivable thing can just go stay with family. I have no family and as far as I know none of my friends have a free bedroom so I can't crash there.


I'd probably be more upset if I wasn't so tired. I'm lying on the hotel bed right now with Bob's Burgers in on the background (at first I thought "Well at least I can watch the Poirot that PBS re runs but then I remembered that today is Friday, not Saturday)

At least I get free wi fi

and at least the electrical fault didn't burn my house down ("I don't want to alarm you," the OG and E guy said, "But I've seen that happen when the damage is a little worse than this")

and at least I'm safely in town....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness…what rotten luck. I hope all repairs happen quickly. — Grace in MA

Roger Owen Green said...

Yikes. I had a tree put a hole in a roof once (expensive!). I've had the power go out. But not your combo.