Saturday, December 17, 2022

Achieving escape velocity

 I have a couple more things left to do (trash out, before that clear the last few leftovers out of the fridge that really shouldn't be left, set some things on timers, drop my last few cards in a postal drop box) but I'm essentially ready to go.

I got 3 weeks worth of clothes for a cold climate (at least I have access to a washer and dryer) packed in my suitcase, along with the systematic botany books I want to take some more time to look over, and a bunch of yarn for potential projects.

I also partially packed my carry on last night. I didn't quite finish "The Running of the Deer" but as it's an older book and the binding is already a little bit, as they call, "shaken," I don't think I'm going to take it - I might take care of the last few things I must do and see if I can get through the last 50 pages or so before I leave. 

I did manage to fit Wenzel in, so he's going to be the "stuffie to hug while I sleep" this trip. (Well, I also fit in Grumpy Bear and my Fluttershy). And yes, I find I do sleep better that way.

I've got a few books; I am pushing myself NOT to stick another one in, reminding myself that most of the trip up I will be sleeping, there are books at my mother's house, AND I will almost certainly get books for Christmas. (But it's hard. I have two Discworld novels, and one of the Louise Penny mysteries I've not read yet, and James Rebank's book on being a shepherd.....but I might still grab some other not-so-big paperback off the shelf just in case). 

I'm hoping eating in my roommette will be possible; I'm a bit apprehensive about case numbers at the moment and perhaps Amtrak is now taking extra precautions? On the trip up at Thanksgiving we were each at a table alone, but coming back (more crowded), there was community seating. Maybe this trip will be a lower density one as it's not QUITE the high time to travel for most folks. (Though it is only a week until Christmas; the semester ran really late this year)

I do have a few embargoed posts ready to load while I'm gone, and I might post some short things (from my phone) while traveling. I hope this is a good trip.

No comments: