Thursday, November 03, 2022

busy day today

 Trying to get stuff done, all the little annoying things that build up (writing homework assignments, planning ahead for upcoming exams) but also had a couple errands to run

The big quilt I found in a box when cleaning was done at the longarmer. No picture until I've put a binding on it. This is the one were a couple of the borders don't quite match because I ran short on the original white fabric and used a different shade of white (Teddy from Bob's Burgers: "Don't tell a handyman you want 'white'!")

But also this:


Yeah, early voting started yesterday. I was busy then, but also I suspected there might be longer lines (based on what I saw on the evening news, I was correct). I went down shortly after 1 pm, there wasn't much of a line. I had looked up my ballot online (thank you, Ballotpedia) so I knew who I wanted to vote for (actually: more "who I wanted to vote AGAINST" in a couple races).

Also this go-round there were none of the annoying "State Questions," which are ALWAYS worded in a confusing and unclear way (I am sure that's intentional). Now that Charles Hill (may he rest in peace), who always did explainers of these on his blog a few days before, is gone, I have to figure 'em out without assistance. 

I am also now thinking of the Voters' Guides the League of Women Voters used to do. I know they were done in Ohio when I lived there (I kind of think they came with the little weekly paper in my town, the Hudson Hub?) and I'm pretty sure we got them in Ann Arbor, too. A friend on ITFF tells me her town still does them, so I know they still make them - it's just here, there's no branch of the group, so no one to do it. (And no, in this day and age, I would NOT want to try to start a branch of a supposedly-nonpartisan but politics/voter oriented group. Especially not in a college town where there's a pretty strong town/gown division)

Still, if there were a branch here and they did one, I'd welcome it. 

So it didn't take me too long to vote. (Then I went and got my quilt).

I also baked a batch of pumpkin muffins from a Libby's mix I got at the Pruett's; it's AAUW tonight and I was asked to bring something. At least these were simple - I still have to make the glaze and figure out how to transport them (might just line them up in a 9 x 13 pan to carry them). 

I need to come into the office this weekend and work for part of Saturday, alas. I don't think there's any way around, I've had too much stuff drag me away from some of the teaching stuff I need to work on


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

https://okvoterguide.com/ has the League of Women Voters of Oklahoma guide.