Sunday, September 11, 2022

this weekend's work

 Saturday, I went to Sherman. Decided to try the Home Depot for shelves.

Fortunately, the ones I wanted were on a bit of a sale, so I got all I needed for about $300:



I did also go to Quilt Asylum; found a fabric that's perfect as a backing for this top: it's the same line as the grey sashing but a slightly different pattern - similar colors, but smaller print, and I decided to buy it even though it was kind of expensive given that I was spending more money than I normally do on things:


Still haven't decided whether to consider handquilting that one, or take it in for machine quilting. (Now that I have the frame set back up, I am thinking more about handquilting again).

I also went to my favorite barbecue place; it was not busy so I decided to risk eating a meal inside (they still have outdoor tables set up, but I didn't feel like maybe fighting wasps


Yesterday evening I started putting the shelves together. I didn't finish until today because the first one of these is always hardest - when I realized I could set up the first two shelves before screwing in the second part of the uprights, it made things easier.


Yes, they kind of dominate the room, but I need somewhere to store my fabric. Actually, I think this will be a good way; I am "finding" things I had forgot I had. I unloaded about five boxes. I have a lot more and will have to do more "editing" (I kept one empty bin to toss pieces I want to donate in). But I'm thinking maybe I can grab a couple boxes every day on the way home from school and just slowly unload the storage unit. 

But for now, I've got them started:


Red and orange, yellow, green, pink on the first shelf. Second shelf is blue-green, purple, blue, big pieces of solid colors



Little shelf is pieces that "go together" for use soon (my Ed Emberley prints, and the "Cats in London/Paris prints") and on the bottom, fabric designated as backings for quilts I have ready.

The third tall shelf is grey and black, brown, white backgrounds and tan, multicolored fabrics, and then very large pieces (more than 2 yards) of prints that would work as sashing or as backing on small quilts. I am *debating* on that children's-book one - I have multiple yards of it so it would work as a backing, but I'm asking myself if I will ever really use it? Maybe it would be better to donate it. (I think the church I am taking fabric to does Project Linus along with other quilts)

My niece is beyond the age for juvenile quilts, I am not going to be having any other niblings, and I'm not close enough to the rest of the family to make "kid quilts." At this point it would probably take either one of my *very beloved* friends having a child or a new grandchild, or me dating a man with grandchildren to consider making kiddie quilts or crib quilts again. (As much as I'd like to do Linus quilts....well, I don't have time to sew up the fabric I bought *for myself* these days)

Eventually I'll run out of room on these; I can see that now. I think my plan will be to edit as aggressively as I can force myself to, and I also have a couple of flat boxes that could go under a bed. 

(And then there's the yarn, too, yikes. Probably for that I clear out the walk in closet and knock down the falling-apart shelves and just stack the bins in there. But that's a future thing, right now I want to focus on the fabric)

No comments: