Monday, September 19, 2022

New quilt started

 This was yesterday's work; today was just long and tiring and a couple bad things happened.

I had found that Aneela Hoey "Little Apples" jelly roll. I found that the white-background fabrics had a couple of small stains on it (I think because it was up against other things). I tried washing them (handwashing in Oxy Clean) but that didn't take the stains away totally. But also, the pattern I was using (Basket Case by Cluck Cluck Sew) really depends on contrast between the fabric and background so I decided to find fabric that would coordinate but could replace the white-background ones. (I did save them, they might be okay for a binding, I don't know)

I cut all (370-some) of the 2 1/2 inch squares of the white fabric yesterday, and picked out and cut the fabric to replace the "bad" strips. I will say it's pretty brilliant having my yardage actually organized and out on display, it's easy to find something you want, get it, cut what you need, and then fold up and put the rest back. 

It's a more concentration-requiring pattern than what I often do - it mimics a basketweave design so you have to pay attention to the order of the fabrics and I admit I had to rip out a couple seams before it all came together.

But I did get six blocks made (as it turns out, each pair of colorful strips makes two blocks:


Most of the fabrics are from the jelly roll but the scarf print (the one with the pink and red "boxes," which are actually stripes on the scarf - they are like British school scarves) is from another Aneela Hoey line and it's one of the replacement fabrics. 




I don't know how much I'll get to work on it during the week, as I said: you have to really concentrate to get the pieces in the right places. At least this is one where you can do a couple blocks at a time - you just cut the strips as you need them. 

1 comment:

Joan said...

That looks like a good weekend project!