Friday, September 16, 2022

Hard week over

* I'm glad this week is done, it was a lot in a lot of ways.

* I took home six more totes between today and yesterday. One of them DID have yarn, which I just left in there - I think maybe my future storage for yarn will be to stack those in the guest room closet. 

* The shelves ARE getting full, but I also found a lot of fabric I could donate. I also found all my unicorn-print fabrics, which makes me happy, and of course I have what I need for the raindrop quilt. And I found some other things that I set aside - "packs" of eight or 12 fat quarters I bought that go together. I think tomorrow and Sunday maybe I start a new top. 

* I also pulled A Sweater for John back out. I may have missed the first front decrease row but it should work out okay. (It's too big to carry for invigilating now, I am on the raglan decreases and then next I do the front bands and the pocket. 

I also have fabric to go out to various quilting friends, and heck, I'll post the first round of "destashing books" in case anyone wants them. (Unfortunately I can only send to US addresses, because of expense)

These are the first eight, all quilting books. Either duplicates or ones I am unlikely to use (because, like for example, I don't enjoy paper foundation piecing)


"Rolling Along" is a Jelly Roll book - for those 2 1/2" strips. It's a duplicate. I have two Thimbleberries books (this one is Classic Quilts, the other one is in the next photo). I find I have these patterns elsewhere in forms I prefer). "Perfect Piecing" is more of a beginner book, and I have never used the Omnigrid book.


Paper Piecing the Seasons - this is foundation piecing, which is used to make pictorial quilts, but I don't love doing it. And the other Thimbleberries book - Book of Quilts (these are both older books). And two small quilt books - one is for about crib quilt sized, the other is for smaller, I think. I don't make as many truly small quilts any more, and it's unlikely I'd ever have a reason to make a crib quilt. 

If you want any of these, e-mail me. I'll send them out media mail, which is economical and doesn't seem to take excessively long. (I also have some knitting/crochet books I'll post later)

If no one wants them I can probably donate them locally - possibly the same quilt group that will take the fabric would want these, I don't know. (I think it's getting a little late to donate to the library used book sale for this year; their sale is usually the very end of this month or the start of October). 

* I also found a mystery piece of fabric. This is a panel, I guess, for either a pillow or the center of a small quilt. I don't know if someone gave it to me or if it came in a grab bag of fabric but it is very much not the style I like


 That nutcracker is a little 😬 for my taste.

* Even though it was a hard week, one good thing at the very end, when I was heading down to go home I found my chair had brought in her lovely sweet Golden Retriever for the afternoon and OF COURSE I had to say hi to Maggie. So I got to pet her and cuddle her a little. I also found out I may not have to teach the intro bio class if I'm teaching Plant Systematics, so I"m not overloaded. (We're still trying to fill that botanist position but I'm not sanguine that we will - heck, I am nervous that whoever we get won't be capable of doing Systematics, as that's a less-specialized-in thing any more, and it will wind up being my class for the rest of my career. The job market has REALLY changed since I was on it - apparently there are far, far fewer people going in to college teaching now, and it's very competitive to get people for a position. When I was on the job market it was the other way around; I applied to like 40 places, got phone interviews at five, and after I had the in-person interview here and accepted then I got invited for another one (at a less desirable place to be, so I simply told them "sorry, I already accepted a post"). 

I like both dogs and cats. I would say I have a slight preference for cats, especially if I were going to have a pet (cats seem by and large a bit better able to tolerate being alone during the workday than dogs are - especially if you get two that are bonded). But a nice dog (which Maggie is) is awfully nice, too.

No comments: