Wednesday, September 28, 2022

More quilt blocks

 I made eight more blocks over the weekend. (With this pattern, for each pair of strips, you get two blocks in sort of alternating colors

I thought about making more during the week this week but it's been another busy week with me getting home later than I planned, and I'm tired, and I could see that leading to errors, even though I will say it gets easier to piece them correctly after you've made a few


The sort of - I thought it was mustard but here it looks more green - print with the school clothes on it, and the red one with the trees are from the original jelly roll; the turquoise one is a tiny 1930s-style print of the Three Bears and their cottage. And the pink one is tickets, it's scraps from a wonky four-patch quilt I made a number of years ago.

One of the nice things about having the fabric organized now is it's easy to find stuff, and easy to find the OPTIMAL stuff I want, instead of "settling" for something that works.

(I think I had been doing a lot of the "precut packet" quilts mainly because I had a hard time FINDING stuff; now with it mostly organized, I can find things)

And here's the other four:

Again, the green/mustard is from the jelly roll - the cat fabric I paired it with was (I think) scraps my mom gave me from a jumper dress she made for my niece. And the grey fabric is basically the same as the mustard/green one in the previous blocks, just different colors - I paired it with a cursive-handwriting print I had a few scraps of from the big Vigniere Cipher quilt top I made (which I have yet to get quilted). 

I admit I wish the script print was more the British style of handwriting (which is different from the D'nealian cursive that this seems to be (That's the style I was taught in school). I wish this because Aneela Hoey is a British designer, and the "school clothes" prints are very clearly more British than American in style. (But you can't have everything. I have never seen fabric printed in the style that my friend Bee writes, or how Jo wrote....)

The top I am making takes 42 blocks; I currently have 14 done. I'd like to do more this weekend if I'm up to it. (I plan to get my flu vaccine early Friday afternoon - may go back to campus after with the idea that if I start feeling really lousy, there would be someone there, unlike at home. I hate that I'm a little vaccine anxious now but the immune response to the second COVID booster was rough.)


No comments: