Thursday, July 28, 2022

And some photos

 He didn't get around to covering the "cardboard" (as Martin called it) on the former screened porch, and something still needs to be done about the gable vents, but everything I was worried about being exposed if we got rain has been covered up and fixed.


This is the front of the house, as you see from the street. 

here's a closeup of the entryway, which took him quite a while this morning because there were a lot of fiddly bits


Once I've paid off the cost of the repairs, the next thing I want to buy is a fancy house-number. I know there are places that make Art Deco style tiles with house numbers, and I might get that. He had to take off the screen door and at the end of the day, it wasn't hung back right (it wouldn't latch) and he worked for about a half hour to get it to work right. (It does, and probably latches more securely than it did before)

The kitchen, where a leak probably caused some damage:


And the back window on my bedroom, which was the one I was so worried about, because he had to cut down a lot and that had been left exposed and I had mental images of mice getting in there or rain getting in:

The right hand window there looks different because I took the screen off years ago when my air conditioning unit was broken and I put a little window unit in so I could at least sleep in a cool room. I should put it back.

And the guest room side, which also was bad and required a lot of work:


I am assuming (after the GC was unhappy when I texted him last night about the guy not having been here Wednesday) that he will show up tomorrow around 9 to do the last few bits, and I presume next week then will be painting with Martin. 


I'm tired though, and a little headachey from the noise - he had to use the Sawzall a lot today, I think cutting out the damaged sills and things before he replaced them. That tannish colored stuff is the engineered wood (which is also the corner pieces). It can be painted, I am having the cornerboards painted white with the rest of the siding, and the trim around the windows will be sage green. 

But I feel a lot better about things than I did last night; last night I was wondering if the guy was even coming back and if I'd ever get my house finished. (It's entirely possible the guy had a dentist apartment, or his car broke down, or whatever. He doesn't have my contact info so he couldn't text or call me - though he could have contacted the GC)


No comments: