Monday, January 24, 2022

Monday morning things

 * Feeling a lot better today, though I periodically have bouts of upset stomach (almost certainly the antibiotic - I do take a probiotic every day and I eat yogurt, but still, Keflex is kind of rough on the digestive system).

* The campus nurse is going to run a COVID test on  me Thursday afternoon, just in case. (I told her I'd mask - I do anyway - and if i developed even symptom one, I'd isolate at home). I have a dental checkup Friday afternoon so hopefully I have results before then - if I test positive I am just cancelling the checkup, I wouldn't want to expose anyone at the dentist's.

* Reading through my department chair's post-tenure review packet and she made a comment on the order of "I did not restart research right away in fall 2020 or spring 2021 [when we finally returned to campus] out of concern we'd have to shut down again, and there's no way to socially distance in lab" (she works with a lot of undergraduate research) and yeah, very very relatable. (At least my research is outdoors, but I admit my motivation to do much has been less.

* To be brutally honest? I think any college faculty who has survived teaching through a pandemic and done even a remotely acceptable job of it just deserves a pass on this round of PTR. We're all exhausted, we've all had to adapt in ways we didn't want to (she's doing more online stuff than she wants). A lot of us have contemplated just quitting.

honestly some days the main things staying MY hand from just putting in for early retirement (and taking the slight pension ding) is that the "younger than Medicare" insurance for retirees is NOT good here, and while I'm pretty healthy now, I can't count on that in the future. And also, I need the sense of purpose of going and doing things every day, and there's much less volunteer stuff that can be done in a pandemic, and much of it would be serving a public more resistant to masking and distancing concerns even than our students. Though I admit if my mom became chronically ill or reached a point where she needed a lot of daily assistance I'd do it in a heartbeat, and move back there.

* I knit a bit this weekend - worked on the "FRIENDS" socks, and I also got the ribbing part done on the criss-cross socks. I also made the binding for one of the two quilts I picked up recently but of course it has to be handsewn down.

I can tell I'm more tired right now (probably because of the infection) because prepping and doing the machine sewing on the binding was literally all I could do; when I was done with that I just sat for the rest of the evening. 

Though I did also once again have to call on St. Anthony - I had a few blocks I had started for another top and I moved them somewhere and wanted to find them because (and this is where my brain goes first) I was afraid when I cleaned up and moved stuff around I had somehow got them in the wastebin instead, and I had emptied that and put the trash to the curb, and I wanted to find them before the trash was picked up this morning - I was on the point of going out to dig for them when I found them folded up in the fabrics for binding the OTHER quilt. 

I need to restart that quilt top again but it's more of a pain to do because it's one of those fractured-four-patch things and there's a lot of fussy subcutting with very little tolerance for error - probably better when I'm in full control of my faculties. Would be better now to get the bindings of the finished tops sorted....

No comments: