Friday, October 29, 2021

and the weekend....

 * Some good news - my colleague M., who got exposed to COVID *directly* (unmasked student spoke to her during lab Monday, student tested positive later that day) got a negative test result. M. is doubly vaccinated but does have a condition going on that might make her more prone to develop a bad breakthrough case - so I'm glad she's fine. (M. was having some symptoms, but they were probably allergies. My allergies have been a bear this week because it's been really windy here and lots of dust has been kicked up). 

* I also got some woeful tasks that were supplemental to my main job done (mostly some assessment stuff). So that's off my plate for a while.

* I don't really need to do much this weekend; I probably should grade the homework that came in for one class but I'm prepped for next week and my exam is already written. 

* I'm still slowly picking away at the Incunabula sweater - I've completed the waist decreases, and then it's a 12 stitch repeat of the pattern, and then I think you increase again, though the pattern author did know she is very short-waisted and that longer waisted people might want another plain repeat first. I'll have to look at it once I get those 12 rows done and decide (again: I bought extra yarn for this knowing I'd need to lengthen).

* I've been saving "A Sweater for John" to work on while I invigilate exams because it's super simple (just stocknette and garter and there's no shaping at all for a long while) and I need the simple thing where I don't have to do a ton of counting or follow a complex pattern - the cabled hat worked but it was a simple enough pattern to memorize. 

* I do want to go and do some "little fun" thing this weekend - maybe run to the gourmet shop in town and just see if there's anything else I might want to give people for Christmas (I still need some small additional item for my mom).

Eventually I DO want to get back to the yarn shop in Whitesboro, but this weekend is the online knitting group and I missed that last time. Also, it's Payday Saturday, so I think I'd rather not be out shopping in areas likely to be crowded - I still am not comfortable around crowds. 

* I also need to make something - we are doing a potluck at church on Sunday. I'm thinking about finding a simple recipe for macaroni and beef (I know, I can probably figure it out myself but I want some idea of proportions). That seems simpler than many of the other things I could do. 

I thought about doing a pumpkin cake because Halloween, but I'm sure someone else will, and cake seems like more work. Also, if there AREN'T desserts but ARE main dishes, that's better than the other way around. (And I can't always eat all the main dishes - celery, and also some things people make are too spicy for me)

* It's finally getting cooler out here, and feeling like fall. I am really glad for the change in the weather; the feeling that nothing is ever changing or progressing and that we're stuck in an eternal now is bad for me. I think the trip to Denison a couple weeks ago was really therapeutic (even if I immediately got a cold after eating for the first time in a restaurant in 19 months). It's nice to go somewhere with more and more diverse businesses - we have the quilt shop, and the gourmet shop and that's about the extent of what I might be interested in here. (It did not used to be so; there used to be more different things, but our good downtown-development person got hired away by another city, and then things began to decline). But yeah - maybe I should start going out more periodically. Try to find museums and stuff within an hour's drive or so and do that.


No comments: