Tuesday, September 07, 2021

some sweater progress

 I finished the first full repeat of the design on Incunabula


The pattern is written to be quite short-waisted, but the author (Karie Westermann) gives really clear directions of how you can alter it - I'm going to do an additional repeat (maybe 2, I'll have to measure and think about it) before starting the waist decreases, because I am long-waisted and I prefer not to be "cut off" by the hem of a sweater. 

(Yes, I bought extra yarn for it when I planned it; I think even then I realized I'd have to make it longer)

The yarn is Berroco Remix Light; it's pretty nice to work with and I like the color


Also, one thing I did buy myself yesterday that I'll eventually have to carefully attach to my hiking staff:


I'd also like to get one from Cuyahoga National Park (I think their Friends Of sells them) and maybe if I go to other parks in the future, get more. This one is nice because it's enameled metal - the original decal on the staff is literally a decal and I do worry a little about preserving it (though I did take the staff with me yesterday, and it was helpful on some of the steeper parts of the trails). 

These used to be a fairly common thing, I think, among hardcore hikers - I seem to remember back in the day you could *earn* them at Summit Metroparks by completing a certain number of hikes. (I vaguely remember that we had some, but they never got put on the staffs, and who knows where they might be if they even still exist...)


No comments: