Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Still low HP

So because I overthink everything and analyze everything, I ask myself, "Why?"

Bell choir went pretty well. I got an OK night of sleep.

But:

- I didn't get much done just for "myself" yesterday. I knitted a few rounds on the socks for my mom, that was about it

- I dealt with an awful lot of people wanting stuff from me, some of it low-level not-reasonable.

- I worked at a task that brings me no joy, and takes time from other tasks that do.

So I need to figure out how to change things. Yes, today I have to write next week's exam, but at least hopefully the joyless task is concluded for now. And I only teach one class so that probably means fewer people to deal with. (I hope).

But yeah - dealing with all the "asks" is easier for me when I hear a thank you, or when I get some sense that what I'm doing is appreciated, rather than the people think I'm just a machine for dispensing what they want. That's a reminder to me (as if I didn't need one) to be nice to people working retail, and receptionists, and things like that. Because one of the things I find most soul-sucking is feeling like I constantly have things being asked of me, and people treat it as their due that I do those things, with no thanks or recognition (in some cases) that what I did for them wasn't *really* part of my job...

I think though maybe the way for me to 'restore HP" these days is dealing with the first: taking time to sit and be quiet and either knit or sew or crochet. I think that was what it was about this weekend* that helped

(*Well, also, going out and having interactions with people - like the quilt shop lady - where I wasn't having to do things for them. In fact, with the quilt shop lady, I am going to be paying her to do something for me, and while she gets benefit out of it (the pay), I also get benefit)

Incidentally, I think purlewe commented on "how picky are longarmers" and I've dealt with four different shops' people in my life, and so I think I can say: "it varies." What I have found is that longarmers are mostly concerned with:

- does the quilt top lie reasonably flat? (Some longarmers are pickier than others; the one I used the most before she closed up shop said that as long as there wasn't a "bubble" that would fold down, she could deal OK with most irregularity. My quilts are sometimes a little wavy about the borders; no one has ever complained about that)

- are the seam allowances big enough and sturdy? (one longarmer I went to told me she had had trouble with someone else's quilt because it was old fabric and the seam allowances were only like 1/8" and under the tension of the machine, a few of the seams popped open. I think for a standard machine-sewn top with 1/4" seams this should not be an issue)

- Is the backing big enough? I think this is the biggest one. Some longarmers want 8" extra on a side (so: a total of 16" bigger each dimension than the top); the person at Home A La Mode said 6" on a side was fine, and she could make do with even a bit less than that.

I am an extreme rule-follower so usually my backings are a good bit bigger; the longarmer just cuts off the extra and gives it back to me and I use it in the binding.

I also had one longarmer tell me to 'police" the front of my top to be sure there were no hanging threads, to make sure everything was trimmed up, but the others have not.

As for ironing: again, people vary. Most of the places I've taken stuff to have said "Wrinkles are OK, they will stretch out, but creases in the fabric or top should be ironed out." Often my backings are a little wrinkly, I've never had anyone yell at me about it.

It may depend a little on the type of machine. I think especially how much extra backing size you need depends on the machine.

SOME longarmers will also bind for an extra fee. I never do this because I have a particular way I like my bindings (and also it's a way to save money). Most longarmers I've used are happy when I tell them I so my own binding; I don't think they like doing it, even for the extra pay. Some will trim the edges as a matter of course, some you have to ask, some give you the option.

Some longarmers have a LOT of patterns they can use (like Home a la Mode, and she said "If you don't see what you want, there's a good chance I can order it" though I presume that's an extra small fee, and anyway, she has about 60 different designs...). Some have only a couple (again, that may be machine differences). Some will let you pick thread color, some only have a few pre-designated colors. Some let you choose from a range of battings, some have one type they want to use, some ask you to buy your own batting and bring it...it really depends.

You can also sometimes hire someone for "custom" quilting (like stitching in the ditch) rather than an allover pattern, but I get the sense most longarmers don't care as much for doing that and it does cost more. And frankly? If I were stitching a quilt in the ditch I think I'd figure out how to do it on my home machine; I think longarm quilting is best for the fancy allover patterns.

Some longarmers only want to do standard cotton quilts; some will do other fabrics. I have only ever used cotton so I don't know how widespread that is. I think most will do cotton flannel, even though flannel is stretchier and "flimsier" (which is why I don't like sewing with it).

If you can find links to back issues of the old Quilty (which seems to have ceased publication yet again) online, and read Ebony Love's columns: she is a longarmer and gives a lot of good detail. (Heck, she may even have a website where she writes about it; I haven't looked).

Some longarmers have information sheets they will give out (or have on their webpage) with requirements for tops; others are a lot more casual and will just tell you. (Home a la Mode is this way, she kind of laughed and said "As long as the backing is a foot bigger in each dimension, I can pretty much work with things" but I doubt people would bring her really messed-up, "bellying" tops to quilt)



Really, what I need? Is somewhere easy to get to that has friendly people where I can just pop in. I had half thought of going to the gourmet shop in town today - I don't NEED anything but I do kind of need just some friendly low-level interaction with a person, and one of the local small businesses is the best way to get it...

2 comments:

purlewe said...

yeah the only LA near me that I have "met" has a very long list of things that must be done before you give them your quilt. It is all of those things you said and a few more. It feels like a list of Don'ts. Don't this and Don't that. Perhaps if I look at it as a list of Dos, and not feel so daunted. My MIL quilts my quilts by machine. One day I will make her a quilt and take it to a LA place and have it done for her instead.

Roger Owen Green said...

my wife and daughter are both home, ill with sore throats and coughing