Sunday, May 19, 2019

Ocellus is done

So in between packing (I'm still not done but can finish tomorrow) and doing some last-minute brush trimming (around the air conditioner so it doesn't work so hard, and around the front yaupon hollies so it looks less messy and is easier when AJ comes to mow), I did finish the "fiddly bits" on Ocellus.

(Thank goodness for DuckTales marathons. Even though I'd seen every episode shown today I still enjoyed having it as background noise. It really is one of the most excellent reboots)

So anyway. Lots of fiddly bits and I guess I appreciate the designer's commitment to doing EVERYTHING in yarn without using felt....though I admit, had I been designing her? The eyes would have been felt and embroidery and the elytra would also be felt. As would maybe the tail and mane...

Ocellus side

The eyes are maybe a *bit* large, though on the actual cartoon Ocellus they are large, because she is fundamentally a bug:

(I hope that uploaded OK; the filename was as a "WebP image" and it only saves as a "chrome symbol" on my laptop).

I also added a little embroidered mouth because I think she needed it

Ocellus 1


Here's a shot of her "elytra":






And the standard "webcam with me" shot (no makeup, hair still damp, pajamas):

I like Ocellus as a character: she is portrayed as kind of shy (she tries to blend in, frequently by shape-shifting into a yellow pony with an overbite and a ladybug cutie mark) and it's implied she's the most book-smart of the Young Six (or at least the most studious) but she is also somewhat literal-minded (though perhaps all the Changelings are). And I admit those are all traits I tend to share with her. (Well, I am maybe not as shy, though I do like to kind of blend in with the group instead of sticking out).

1 comment:

purlewe said...

I should have commented on this right away.... HOW COOL IS THIS?? I love it. So very cool. I am in awe of your skills.