Saturday, February 16, 2019

And home again

It was actually a fairly quick trip, all else given. I ran to JoAnn's first, got the new "Simply Knitting" AND a quilt book (I had a coupon) AND these (they were on a good sale, plus coupon):

"Cupcake" 2

I am SUCH a sucker for these color changing yarns. There is about 2300 yards there - which will eventually become a simple crocheted ripple-style blanket, just letting the colors change as they will. (Yes, I know, I now have one crocheted blanket I'm working on and three in the queue. Hush up.)

I also ran to the Ulta and got the things I needed, but my "birthday gift" was - womp womp - a pale pink/nude lipstick that probably won't look well on me (I need a stronger color) and a mascara (I don't wear mascara; I worry about my sensitive eyelids and getting hives from it). Haven't opened either and will maybe consider giving them away.

(But that's OK. They were free, and I was going there because I needed more of the pore-correcting cream I wear and more of the heavy-duty hair conditioner - one thing menopause has done to me is make my hair VERY dry and so once every week or 10 days I need to deep-condition it)

The drive to Whitesboro was fine. It was a cold, foggy day but it did get brighter as I approached Whitesboro. (The other upside to the less-than-perfect weather: fewer crowds, though there were other people in the quilt shop)

Quilt shop haul: (Not shown: the new bottle of "Best Press" and the tube of Roxanne quilting needles):

quilt stuff

Dandelion fabrics! I might do "Rock Star" (from "Charm School") with those, unless I find a pattern I like better. And the other one - it's just 3 yards of a solid and then a jelly roll of flour-sack-inspired fabric prints; I'll find a pattern I like for that one, I have tons of jelly roll patterns and some I might even do a second round of.

And the yarn shop. I think this is where I spent the most money but one of the yarns will fill a gap in my wardrobe (once I get it knit up):

brown sheep

Brown Sheep "Prairie Spun" (A dk weight, 100% wool) in "Owl Gray."  I had been wanting a fairly plain grey cardigan to wear with some of my outfits, and this is the perfect yarn - it's nice and "squooshy," it smells nice, it feels nice, it's a pretty color, it's 100% wool, it's made here in the US (I was considering a different yarn but (a) it was acrylic and nylon and (b) it was made in China, and if I can support a US company, I will - and Brown Sheep is pretty dyed-in-the-wool US company).

It's just an all-around pleasing yarn and should be fun to knit up. The shop owner said she'd made herself a sweater with the yarn and she really loved working with it, so that's good to hear.

I'm going to make the textured version of Bonne Marie Burns' "Hey Girl" (shout out to the now-dead Ryan Gosling meme) with it. And I like the idea of a really plain sweater but with nice fancy buttons (the JoAnn's has lots of choices, or I can mail-order, or, I might even have some vintage ones squirreled away that would work).

And of course, sockyarn, because sockyarn is one of their big things at Quixotic Fibers. (Including yarns dyed right there! The peach colored yarn is one of them):

sock yarn

The peach will probably be some kind of fancy stitch - maybe cabled, because those show up well on light colored yarn - socks. The green, maybe lace or maybe just plain socks. And the stripey will be just plain socks.  They had several variants of the "nautical" line, and I ALMOST bought one that was a lighter blue with thin white stripes because they would work up into "Mr. Hulot" socks (in "Mon Oncle," he is shown wearing blue socks with narrow white stripes). But I already have  a pair that I made myself with plain blue and white yarns...

(I should get "Mon Oncle" on dvd. It was one of my favorite movies and it's been too long since I saw it).

And then finally, another kind of cupcake - a treat, which I will be consuming shortly. From the natural-foods store:

cupcake 1

I have food ahead for at least the next 10 days (will make the Briticised-version of Spaghetti Bolognese from my Jane Featheringstonegall cookbook at some point) and I also picked up a big bottle of lavender-lemon bubble bath (it's for kids, really, but that doesn't matter) and I think I might indulge in one before bed tonight.

So, all in all, a good day out, and I think I'm going to consider winding off my Brown Sheep yarn and maybe swatching for the new sweater tonight.




No comments: