Monday, October 22, 2018

owie ow ow

I must have pulled my right tricep. It still hurts. Tylenol made it better enough to do bell choir but I think a warm bath before bed and a day off from exercise is good.

I also think I tweaked my bad collarbone area (I probably broke it in a fall back in 2013, but I was too stubborn to go to the doctor; later, my dad's PT guy diagnosed me based on some weakness on that side and he also (with my permission) put his hand on my collarbone area and said he could feel when I moved the arm that it had probably been broken at some point)

And I have HIVES again. Womp womp. Every time I think "Oh, thank God, am I *finally* done with this?" in the coming weeks I wind up with another attack. (No idea what triggered this. Maybe mold from all the rain. It's not BAD but my legs do itch, and my back itches and was itching while I worked out - which is why I tweaked my shoulder, trying to reach around to scratch).

I know allergens are bad now; I went to that meeting and one of my colleagues was there and I heard him sneeze at least five times (he has a very distinctive, and very loud, sneeze).

The good news is, my benefits should still be cheap to me - because it's just me and I don't want the absolute creme de la creme health-insurance plan (with the super-low deductible), the uni will be willing to pay my premiums. (I realize this is really unusual and I am very lucky). I do pay in for dental and eyecare, but both of those are cheap, especially compared to the care a person can get when one has a dental or eye emergency.

I don't need extra life insurance; the university-supplied stuff is quite generous and as I don't have kids or a spouse depending on me...all I'd really need (God forbid) is enough to bury me with. (I have my brother down as beneficiary; he is the closest relative likely to be alive when I croak and I have no squabbles with him so I am fine with him getting that money. If he's gone and I'm still around, I'll probably switch it out to my niece, or, failing that, see if it could go to a charity).

They are changing up the long-term care plan and I may just stay (and pay out of post-tax dollars) with the the plan we used to have; we can do that. The new plan seems more like "If you're really sick but are going to get better we will pay" and I want something like the old one where "you get put in a slightly nicer home if you have this." 'Cos I have savings to cover very short-term things....it's a long-term disability I'd be concerned with, with either being able to pay someone to (say) drive me places if I were to go blind, or come to my house and do the stuff I can't, or have some kind of not-quite-so-terrible assisted living. (And I hate that I have to consider this, but....yeah. Seeing what my dad went through this fall and how preferable home care is to being in a place...

I also won a door prize. A cloth bag (can be used for shopping) full of "healthy treats" but they are all (a) hard and crunchy or (b) containing peanuts or peanut butter, so I am going to take them over to the building tomorrow and leave them in the breakroom for those who CAN eat them, I know they'll be used. (And I *did* get a "quick healthy cooking cookbook" in there which looks like it might have some good stuff.....and also a "smart" water bottle that will apparently connect to the Internet of Stuff and I'm not sure I'd do that even IF I had a smartphone....then again, maybe I hang on to it and give it to my brother for Christmas, he does smartphone stuff and he also trains for biking and running....I like my Sigg bottles just fine).

I guess I'm glad I went today. It was LONG and there were a lot of complaints-disguised-as-questions but at least it's done and tomorrow I can just come home to grade the exams I give and not worry about going back out....

Anyway, now to look at Harvest and see if I can knock the picked-up area into shape enough to take it to knit on tomorrow while I invigilate.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I really like the GoActive water bottles I bought a couple of months ago. They honestly do keep ice water cold for 24 hours.

Roger Owen Green said...

My left hip STILL hurts from a week ago. Waiting for HR to tell me how to do the Workers Comp thing