Sunday, August 12, 2018

Summer is ending

Next week is the Week of Meetings (well, starting Wednesday) and I have decided that I HAVE to get back into the schedule of getting up around 5 am for my workout, so I have time to wash and dress and eat and pack a lunch and all that stuff before going over to work at 7 or 7:30.

I am a morning person but I confess 4:30 (which is really the ideal time to give me enough time for everything) or 5 is still awfully early; I have been getting up most days this summer around 6 or 6:30 and going in around 9, but I can't do that during the school year.

So it's back to early-bed. which is Not Great during Daylight Saving, because it's still fairly light out even at 9 pm, and ideally I'm in bed by 8:30 to allow enough time to read/do the necessary brain shut-down for the night. And yeah, I think of this:

"In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?"

(RL Stevenson, "Bed in Summer")

Not that I don't WANT to go to bed....well, I kind of don't want to because many days I don't have that much time in the evenings to do "fun" things once I've done the "necessary" things like cooking dinner....

But yeah. I mean, yeah, it's nice to get back to a routine, and to feel useful, and to get paid again, but I also admit I will kind of miss setting my own schedule.

I think I'm going to go ahead and promise myself that I can spend this coming Saturday either knitting and watching movies, or starting on a new quilt top....A person needs something to get themselves through the week some times.

No comments: