Saturday, August 11, 2018

And a success

This is a close-up, was actually an unintentional shot because the camera fired when I meant to put it on timer, but you can see they're done:

pony shorts 2

I like that they aren't as wide-legged as they looked in the pattern pieces. They fit pretty well and the crocheted drawstring seems like a good solution.

A couple things I learned:

- I don't love working with flannel. I forgot how stretchy/unstable it can be and I was remembering how awfully it frays, though I used French seams on these, so there are no exposed raw edges.

- The buttonhole foot with my machine works very well and is easy to use. I don't think I ever used it before - I remember the one dress I sewed on it here that required buttonholes, I took up to my parents' house with me and did them on my mom's machine. Well, maybe I remember that I can do buttonholes easily now. (There are tiny buttonholes for the drawstring).

I mmmmmmmight make another pair of these - either I could use a heavier-weight cotton (I have some in my quilt fabrics and these only take about a yard and a half) or, if I wanted, I could get either some plissé the next time I am at JoAnn's, or even another flannel (they had a Wonder Woman flannel which might be fun, and I could always BUY a drawstring like they sell for hoodies - or get another skein of bulky acrylic and just crochet another one).

Here's a better shot, and it's a rare photo of me that I look at it and go, "Gee, I don't look as fat as I think I am":

pony shorts 3

I'm also wearing the tank top from the Sanrio Loot Crate and as I suspected - I wouldn't be able to wear it as-is out in public because I have VBS. I could put it on over a white t-shirt though.

1 comment:

CGHill said...

I learned this stuff on my mom's machine way back when, and I never did figure out the buttonhole foot.