Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Maybe no potato

Depends on when I get home.

I decided to gut up and go to the doctor - I have a couple of bug bites from Hades on my back. I got them Saturday and tried to ignore them but they're quite large now and inflamed, and until this morning they itched like mad. (I think they might be chigger bites).

Normally, I don't stress about bug bites but these look huge and I keep thinking of the time one of my cousins developed cellulitis (and wound up in the hospital) after a blackfly bite got infected.

I don't like going to the doctor, I don't particularly like the rigamarole of being weighed and getting my bp taken and stuff. But I think I better. I had tried calling the campus nurse to see if she could look at them and see if they were no big deal or something to be concerned about, but she's out this week.

I managed to get a 4 pm appointment. I'm guessing that's a squeezed-in-at-the-day's-end appointment so I better take my knitting and plan on waiting for a while.

I don't think I could be VERY sick; I feel mostly okay (the cruddiness I was feeling earlier this afternoon was probably due to the temperature in my office approaching 30 degrees C. No, I don't know how it can get hotter in my office than it is outside when we have air conditioning).

Here's hoping that if it IS cellulitis beginning, she can just write me a script for antibiotics to take orally, and I won't have to check into the local hospital like my cousin did....

ETA: Guess it's good I went. I had a slight fever and the doctor said one of the bites did look infected. So now I have horse pills (Bactrim) to take for 10 days to oust the bacteria....

I was also down about 6 pounds from my last doctor visit in May.

And I experienced something I suspect most committed knitters get if they knit in public. While waiting at the doctor's office, a rather rambunctious group of kids came in; the little girl told her mother I was "sewing." (When she asked what I was making, I said "I'm knitting a sock" but didn't put any undue emphasis on "knitting"....)

Then, while waiting at the pharmacy, a group of older women (well, older than I am) were sitting there and one said to the other, "Oh, she's darning a sock." Um, no. I didn't really say anything that time. But I always think it's kind of odd that some people seeing me knit in public act like I'm a display or something and not to be talked directly to. If I saw someone doing some kind of craft in public that I wasn't sure what it was, I think I'd go up to them and say, "Excuse me, can you tell me about what you are doing?" Or if it's something I know but don't do myself (like spinning), I might ask them to talk about how they spin (or whatever)...

No comments: