Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The exact form of the quotation I was referring to this morning is this:

"What you eat is like how you pray: your business. Not to be forced on others. Worship at Burger King or Chez Panisse, depending on your tastes, wallet, and personal needs...Just don't make me go there." - Sheila Himmel.

One thing I do fear sometimes is that we are turning (back?) into a nation of busybodies, where everyone else's business is our own. Like the fabled small towns of old, only with the noxious veneer of "I'm telling you what I think you should do for your own good." (I really don't think small towns were as suffocating or as stultifying as some people made them out to be.)

God preserve me from people who would tell me what I "need" to do "for my own good."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

re: the small town comment: do you think the witches of Salem would agree?