Sunday, February 02, 2003

My condolences go out to the families of the Columbia astronauts, and to those at Ground Control, and to those who found the remains.

I live in southeastern Oklahoma - theoretically near enough to the point where the shuttle broke up that I could have seen it and heard the explosion. (People in Sherman, about 40 miles south, were reporting that they did). However, yesterday morning as it happened, a colleague, his wife, and I were headed north for a day of hiking.

We walked into the Chickasaw National Recreation Area visitor center as one of the interpreters came out and said to the other: "The word came through. It's official. We need to lower the flag to half-staff." "So none of them made it?" he asked. "No" she said "there was no chance."
I am glad I didn't see/hear the actual event happening. That's not something I need to have seen.
Such a sad day.

No comments: