Tuesday, November 13, 2018

A few photos

Some more photos of Christmas stuff.

I ran out to the pharmacy for more of the vitamin gummis I use and also stopped at the Hallmark store, and found this ornament hard to resist:

new ornament

It's a little hard to see but it's a version of the old P.D. Eastman book "Are You My Mother" - the open book, with the final lines of the story written on it, and the baby bird and his mother sitting in the nest.

That story was a favorite of mine when I was a kid ("You are not my mother. You are a SNORT"). I seem to remember that the library in my town even had an edition translated into French and we got it out once or twice and my mom had a go at reading it to me (She learned scientific French as part of her Ph.D. work but wasn't super fluent).

So yeah. As I said Christmas makes me nostalgic and longing to capture the things that I remember from my childhood that were good.

I also got another Snoopy ornament. Because Snoopy just goes with Christmas, at least for this Gen-Xer.

tree 4

You can also see one of the mock-Scandinavian ornaments there, and a little bit of the turquoise alicorn I got a year or two ago at one of the antique shops.

And to match the alicorn? A white reindeer, from the same company and in the same style, found later at that same shop:

tree 1

(They may even originally have come from the person, and if so, it makes me happy to keep the two together a while longer).

tree 2

And a beaded snowflake - from that same antiques shop. (The Christmas ornaments they had, at least the fairly recent ones like these, were super inexpensive, like a buck or two each).

And more:
tree 3

I also set out my Nativity set

2018 nativity


(Heh. Furby photobomb)

And arranged a few of the Christmas critters around:

more critters

piano critters

And yes, that's Krispie again, this time with her big sister, Merry Treat:

Christmas ponies

2 comments:

jodel said...

Oh, oh, oh, my kids loved that book! I just ordered it to be shipped to the nearest Hallmark store! Thanks.

anita said...

Thank you for posting these; they're wonderful! I've not had a tree for the past two years (still thinking about this year), due to small cats who have not yet learned (or refused to learn, in a case or two) that Christmas trees are not for climbing in, nor are ornaments for knocking onto the floor and chasing under the furniture. I used to go over and enjoy my parents' tree, but they have both died during the past year, so that will be no more. . . thus I really enjoyed seeing yours.