Tuesday, May 10, 2016

cleaning things day

Tomorrow I set off for a break to visit family.

Today is one of my furlough days.

So I decided to take today and clean the house. The bathroom and living room and home office are pretty much done, I need to go and arrange to get my mail held and then the kitchen (the biggest effort) is next.

Then I am going to try to finish the Cheerilee. I think I will be able to; I sewed all her anatomy together last night and just have her bangs and tail to do, and then it's her face and so-called Cutie Mark....and then I have another pony. And this was a nice pattern, it makes a smaller pony than the other Nerdy Knitter patterns I've done. (I also can see how, with a few mods, one could use it to make a Bon Bon/Sweetie Drops by using different colors and changing the hair up slightly).

(Actually, I with the designer would have an add-on pack, where once you had the basic pony pattern, you could buy additional hair sets, or a horn-and-wing pattern so you could easily unicornize or pegasusize the existing pattern.)

I also have to pack, but that doesn't take long to do.

Fortunately my stomach is better today. Yeah, over the weekend I had problems again. I think this IS either IBS or some kind of perimenopausal body-going-stupid. I really wish I could just be DONE with it - I'll get so much better I'll think, "Oh, thank goodness, I'm going to be through with this" and then my stomach is like NOPE and I get the discomfort again.

Oh, and the going in the bathroom thing during tornadoes: if you don't have a basement or a storm shelter, it is the next safest place. It's interior (sometimes they recommend an interior closet) and has no windows, and in a smaller tornado is the most likely part of the house to be undamanged. Also, you can get in the bathtub and cover yourself with a mattress or heavy blankets and get additional protection that way.

There are a lot of places now selling add-on storm shelter rooms that can be built into a closet space. I don't have  a closet I could readily give up for that (there's not much storage in my house), but I keep thinking if I could figure out a good place for one, it would be worth investing in. (Perhaps have my linen closet done away with, and put it in that space? I could always put shelves in and stack my towels on the shelves...). These shelters claim to be able to withstand an F-5, which is about the worst tornado possible. They are reinforced steel and are kind of on the idea of the "panic rooms" some upscale houses in areas that are higher crime (or are imagined to be so by wealthy homeowners).

I could possibly also surrender one corner of my bedroom and have it installed in there; I could always have shelves in it and use it for yarn storage or something.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

My bathrooom wouldn't work. It has a window in it and the tub is a walk-in one so I'm not sure how comfortable it would be. I do have a basement and can go down there if I need to shelter somewhere.