Sunday, January 24, 2016

And that's done

While "preaching a sermon" wasn't on Heinlein's famous list of "things a man [and by extension, an adult] should be able to do," it could be.

I guess it went well. People tell me it did. I got a chuckle out of the congregation at the right place, where I was expecting one, there didn't seem to be much coughing or shuffling. (When I am nervous about something, I often don't remember doing it very way; it was exactly the same back when I played clarinet and had to play a solo).

It's funny. Even though this is most likely the most congenial and receptive audience I will ever have, I was far more nervous doing this than getting up to teach a class. I suppose it is because the setting and the people are such that I felt like I wanted to do a really extra-special good job.

I thought it ran really long but when the service was over, and I got in my car, I saw that we were getting out no later than we normally do.

I also found I slightly fumbled the offertory meditation, I think partly because I didn't think about "You'll just be coming off saying the sermon, you won't have time to think of something" - with the prayers at the table that I normally do as Elder, I have time to put my thoughts quickly in order during the Words of Institution. I should have, in retrospect, written something out, but I guess it went fine.

it's very different presiding at the table (that is, doing the Words of Institution - the whole "this bread is my body, broken for you" and so forth quotation) than it is eldering. I was struck by that.

It went well but I am not sure I want to do it again. I was surprised how scared I was.

Also, some better (hopeful) news about my friend Margaret: she is still in ICU and on a ventilator, but they were apparently able to remove the tumor they found while doing the repair surgery. If she gets through the peritonitis, things may be better than it originally looked like they were. Two other hopeful things: even though she's on a ventilator, she's alert enough to write notes to people. And the minister said that her surgeon commented to him, "She's a tough old bird" which made me laugh because yes, in a way, it's true. I mean, I love her and she is a good and kind person, but there is also a toughness deep down there and hopefully it will serve her well in this instance. And the fact that every one of us at church love her and are praying for her can't hurt.

And finally: I tried the mouth guard again last night. (I didn't Friday night, partly because I was still kind of borderline upset over the whole thing with my father's brief ER trip). I think I'm getting more used to it, at least it didn't seem quite so miserable last night and I am noticing my neck feels less tense when I get up in the morning. So even if I'm not *grinding* my teeth, I may be clenching my jaw in my sleep and making muscle tension that way.

And now, I am going to go back working on the new quilt in the frame. If I can motivate myself, later today I will photograph the newly finished one.

No comments: