Sunday, January 24, 2016

And the quilts

First, the finished "Dozen Roses" quilt:

dozen roses finished

The name came from the pattern - it was in one of those "12 Fat Quarters Can Make a Quilt" type books.

it was kind of grey here today, you can see that from the photo. Also, I did wash this quilt last night, on the gentle cycle, cold water, and dry it - I had gotten some blood on it when I pricked my fingers and what might have been a little tea. Most of the stuff came out (there is still one tiny stain on the back). But at least now I know a handquilted quilt, if small enough to go in the machine, will survive a "gentle" cycle. (I was afraid it would pull on, and break, some of the hand stitching)

Here's a closeup. These were random bright pastel prints, mostly bought from Quilt Asylum a number of years back:

closeup 2

Here you can see the mouse border design, which, wow, took a long time to quilt, because there was so much reversing and turning and doing loops. Also you can see the binding - that was bought long after all the fabrics in the quilt, it came from JoAnn's.

Here's the back. It came from (sniff) the now-closed quilt shop in my town.

dozen roses back

 Maybe you can see the squirrels outlined in there. I THINK this was a Tula Pink fabric, she tends to do those kind of trompe l'oeil effects with animals or natural things.

Another close up of two of the fabrics: goofy looking bunnies and deer. That was from a line designed by (IIRC) someone who had been on Project Runway:

closeup 1

And on to the new quilt.

MVC-028S

More Tula Pink fabrics. (And what can I say? I like bright colors)

Here's a closer close up, maybe you can see the stitching better:

new quilt

I'm still trying to decide if I want to go full-grid with this (stitching lines from corner to corner both ways) or just do one set of parallel lines like I'm setting up here. The thing is, it's really hard unpicking quilting if you don't like something, so I'm really going to have to think hard about it before putting in that first cross-line. I'm thinking the stitching is unobtrusive enough that the crosslines won't obscure the fabrics too much - it will be more work but generally more heavily quilted quilts last a little better because the filling is less prone to shift.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I love the colors in both of these and I love simple quilts like these because they put the focus on the fabrics.