Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Tuesday Morning Things

* I finished the "body" knitting of High Street Vest 2.0 (this is the one I was making stripey, out of Noro Taiyo Sport). I DID have enough yarn, after all (I was worried at one point). I just have to finish sewing the side seams and find the right sized short circular to do the arm bands and do the neck band. (I am doing the arm and neck bands in a Regia 6-ply silk, in a sort of eggshell color - partly because I didn't want to buy a third skein of Taiyo but also because I suspected the changing colors might make the bands look not so good).

I'm hoping when it's done it looks more like "vintage cricketer's vest" (I was thinking Fifth Doctor but I don't think he wore any colors other than cream with a few narrow blue and red stripes) than "80s fabulous" but Noro colors do have a way of trending kind of 80s.

* I have a lot of mostly-finished projects: a couple of cowls, a hat, some socks. I should drag them out and finish them, even if I wind up giving them away.

* I think my AAUW Christmas exchange-gift this year is going to be a cowl. They seem popular and I am sure I either have something in the stash, or can easily find something, appropriate. I've got a bunch of patterns. I'm thinking, because it's warmer here, to do a sockweight one and one that's not SO large but also not too tight to the neck.

* Still thinking about the latest Pony episode; it reminded me of an episode from my prep-school days that taught me, quite bluntly, not to envy those more wealthy because you never know what kind of septic-tank problems that greener grass is covering up....In short, one of the girls who lived in the dorm had had plans to go home for a weekend, but her recently-divorced mother apparently had a new boyfriend and wanted to have plans with HIM....so she bribed her daughter to stay up on campus. I think I've referred to that story before but when I think of it now it does make me sad and it makes me think of how much luckier I was, in certain ways, to have a family who, while as not as well off, were happy to see me when I came home (I was a day student so I went home every afternoon) and that wanted me there.

In a broader sense, you never know how a particular person may be hurting, even though they look like they have it all together, so being kind is a good default position.

* Am essentially done with the revisions to my accepted (yay!) paper; I have a question in to the editor about "how much reformatting of tables is enough reformatting" (I was asked to reformat the tables, but no guidance was given as to how. I would THINK if they wanted them done using a different program - eg., Excel instead of Word - they would have said. (Anyway, Instructions To Authors specified Word, so that's how I did them).

I'm glad to be done with this. I've decided, for a number of reasons, to end this project and to plan something new for next summer - perhaps some research examining decomposition rates and invertebrate populations in different forested areas around the lake. Well, provided we don't have another flood year....

No comments: