Monday, July 27, 2015

a few decisions

1. I'm taking the Hagrid es sweater with me to work on, instead of winding off yarn for yet another stole project. (I have one in-progress I'm taking, and am also prepping the yarn for the Antarktis shawl. I'm going to use a Phydeaux fingering weight in a colorway called "Winterfell" (an example is here but like all hand dyed yarns they vary, and mine has more white on it)

2. I'm going to do the lace-column socks out of what I am now thinking of as Granny Smith Green yarn (a neon-y green, like the "sour apple" color that some candy comes in). The neon pink - which is pinker even than Pinkie Pie's mane - is going to eventually become Spring Forward, a pattern I've wanted to do for a while but never found the "right" yarn for.

3. I also need to wind off the "unicorn" yarn - it's called Unicorn Rainbow Glitter Fight, a pastel-y rainbow yarn with Stellina in it so it does glitter a little. This is going to be just-plain socks and I'm hoping it won't pool too badly.

4. Some toy patterns, including the flapjack octopus I talked about earlier. I'll have to set aside eyes of the right size.

Oh, I won't finish or even start all of these but I feel like I need to have a choice of what to do. And in normal times I swap out projects and don't work solidly on just one.

Also, I wonder if I'm going to be coming home with (or sending myself) a few things; my mom said she went through a few boxes in the basement that never got opened after their move and she found a bunch of stuff she thought had been lost in the move. Some of it went to my brother - she found, for example, the giant old Star Wars themed toy-storage wall hanging she and I made (when my brother was small and had the Star Wars figures - this would have been the first run of them - we made him a wall-hanging one year for Christmas that had elastic loops on it that he could tuck the figures in to. At least the ones with arms - the elastic was tucked up under their arms. We also put on a couple of pockets for other toys and I think a little pocket to hold the various weapons). She thought maybe my niece would like it, and after washing, she said it looked nearly new.

So I'm wondering what else she found....I can't think of anything I had that I feared lost but it's possible there's something I forgot about that I would be happy to have back. (No, I didn't have any of the original run of Ponies - I considered myself too old for them when they came out - and the one toy from that era I bought (Strawberry Shortcake) is on a shelf in the bedroom I use in that house, but maybe there's something). She also said she had found some fabric she "thought" was mine (in that I bought it, intending to make dresses or blouses of it). I'll have to see....

(One thing I should do is put a shelf up somewhere in my bedroom HERE and retrieve the few favorite dolls from my old doll collection, and maybe arrange to sell the rest or something. I don't have space for a full collection any more and anyway, I'm less interested in amassing a big collection than I once was. Oh, there are a few dolls I'd buy if I saw them at a price I felt comfortable paying, but I think I could probably get rid of most of the collection without too much pain. The main question is do I do it myself (by opening an etsy shop or something) or do I go through a broker and wind up having them do the work but also get most of the profit? I don't know. I do know that I won't get back what I put in, moneywise, stuff doesn't appreciate like people once thought it would.)

No comments: