Friday, July 24, 2015

should not be

Two little things (because it's easier for me to look at the little things than the big things, like theater shootings) that should not be:

1. People calling from spoofed numbers, and calling, inexplicably, multiple times in a short span. Last night I got four calls in just under 2 hours from 405-759-0266. This LOOKS like an Oklahoma City number, but I am sure it is not - I'm sure it's spoofed. Also, it's "Unknown Caller," which numbers I do not answer.

they don't leave a message. I am not sure what the purpose of the calls is but it's annoying to jump up every 20 minutes or so to look at the phone to see if it's a call I want to take.

I looked into blocking numbers, and guess what, I can.....if I pay A T and T for that privilege.

Womp womp.

So I guess unless they get really offensive - like, they start calling late at night - I'll just keep griping about it. (I already pay for voice mail and for caller ID)

I don't GET why they can't track down the people behind these spoofed numbers and shut them down. I suppose they lack the will or employees or money (hah, given what I pay each month for phone service, I doubt it's that last). But it's ANNOYING.


2. Had another near-miss near-accident the other day. Once again, someone on a cell phone....I was turning off Wilson onto First (some of you will remember that that is the same intersection where I got hit back in March or so). I was making a right-hand turn. As soon as it was clear and I started my turn, a young woman came barrelling up on First, no turn signal, and whipped a very *short* left-hand turn onto Wilson. I had to swerve and slam on the brakes because she slewed over into my lane and would have hit me if I kept going.

And I looked over and yeah, she had a cell phone pressed up to her ear.

The worst one, though, was someone pulling out of an apartment complex's drive INTO my lane and I had to run up on the curb to avoid being hit. The person driving the car was looking down - texting - and when they saw me looked at me as if, "Why are you on MY road?"

A T and T runs a horrific PSA showing a slo-mo simulated accident allegedly caused by someone looking down at her phone. And these PSAs are everywhere. But people just ignore them. (Always the way: the people like me, who are responsible, know that we CAN'T use a cell phone and drive at the same time, so we don't.....and we cringe at the PSAs. But then there are people who just don't care or justify it to themselves or figure the rules don't apply to them or "just this once" or whatever). And so, we have to all be extra vigilant.

(I'll also say I REGULARLY get behind someone driving about 15 or 20 in the 40 mph zone on First - and they always have a danged phone pressed to their ear. It's a little thing but it annoys me because it is usually when I am on my way home, and it's like, "Here, the Universe is just going to make it be that much longer before you get home.")

1 comment:

Lynn said...

We pay for call blocking service and guess what. It only lets you block 10 numbers. After that if you need to block a number you have to clear the previously blocked numbers.