Tuesday, April 07, 2015

two random thoughts

One, while working on research this afternoon:

Linus van Pelt once said he loved humanity but couldn't stand people. I wonder, if he spent much time on the Internet, if he wouldn't change his mind, and decide he couldn't stand humanity?

I'm just the reverse: I love individual people. When I know a little about a person, about their hopes and dreams and loves and fears, I can understand them a little and love them. But the stuff "humanity" does anonymously, like the stupid drive-by online comments, or the trolling/bullying, or the taking of things out of context, or or or.....it just makes me tired and makes me not want to interact.

(There have been times I've had to figuratively sit on my hands not to snap back at some silly smug online comment, someone who thinks they know everything and they DON'T. But a lot of the time escalating stuff doesn't serve any purpose at all.....it's like trying to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.)

***

Second, while mowing the lawn (so these are actually reversed in time: I mowed first, because it was threatening rain, then came back here to work)

I made up another short snippet of fanfiction. I think I can do these best as short bits; sustaining a full story with its story arc is a bit much for me now. But this was mainly an exercise in trying to conjure up Equestrian slang....(Again, this is really a first draft/first pass)

The New Neighbor

"Hey Fluttershy! How's it flapping?" Rainbow Dash burst through the door of Hoofnagel's Coffee and Tea to see her friend sitting in a corner near the pastry case.

"Oh, okay....I guess."

"Aw, is something bothering you? Something's bothering you."

"It's nothing. Really......" but Fluttershy's eyes teared up a bit.

"Come on.....tell me."

"Oh....it's my new neighbor."

"New neighbor? You never told me...." Dash found her friend's uncommunicative nature trying at times.

"Yes. A pony built a cottage a little ways away from mine. I thought it was going to be okay; he was a very nice pony. But, then, instead of living there himself, he moved his mother in and she's....(mumble)"

"She's what? I'm not deaf but I can't hear you when you talk to the floor!"

"She's.....she's not nice"

"Not nice how? Does she have loud parties? Throw trash on your lawn? Spread rumors about other ponies?"

"No....nothing like that....she's just....she told me my yard was a mess.....and the birds around my house were too loud. Dashie, she wants me to use WEED KILLER on my yard. WEED KILLER. Do you know how dangerous that is? And how bad it is for bees and butterflies and mites and, well, everything?" 

"Oh, that's just feathering derped! She can't tell you what to do with your own property!" 

"Well, *she* seems to think she can."

"You're not going to let her? You're not going to do what she says? Grow some hooves, Fluttershy, tell her to fly off!"

"Oh! No! I could *never* do that! She's a lot *older* than I am. I couldn't possibly talk like that to one of my elders!"

Rainbow Dash sighed. Given Fluttershy's reticent nature, this problem would be harder to fix.

"Did you explain to her that the bees and things were important to you? That it's kind of your job to look after them and stuff?"

"I did, but she didn't seem to care. She seemed to think she could talk to the mayor and...and....and I'd get in trouble somehow....." Fluttershy trailed off, her eyes tearing up at the thought of the horror of being dragged before the mayor to have to explain herself.

"Oh, for Pony's sake....Do you want ME to go over and talk to her? Maybe she'd listen to me, I'll tell her not to mess with my friends!"

"Oh....I don't know, Dashie. It might make things worse." 

Dash thought: Fluts, I love you, but sometimes you're IMPOSSIBLE. Let me help. But instead, she said, "Well, okay. But if you can't get her to leave you alone, I've got your back."

*****

The only other thing I have - I don't have a good resolution to it - is the mental picture of Fluttershy using an old-fashioned reel-type mower (like I have) by flying slightly off the ground, pushing the handle with her front hooves and using her wings to propel herself forward. And her apologizing to the bees for having to cut down many of the wildflowers they might use....

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I like this one better than the first one. That one seemed very sad to me. This has good dialogue.