Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Am I peculiar?

This question came up today. I mean, I asked myself it. No one suggested I'm peculiar, that's not what I mean.

But I'm wondering about it. I've been reading stuff lately about people who were very power hungry. You see lots of people on the news who are super power hungry. You even see ponies in cartoons who are power hungry.

And it makes me wonder: the few times in my life I've had some semblance of power (committee chair, head of the Youth Group, etc.), it's always been a giant headache and no fun and I spend an inordinate amount of time worrying if I'm doing the right thing.

So I have absolutely zero interest in wielding power. If a genie appeared to me and said, "I could make you President of the USA" I'd run screaming in the other direction.

All I really want is to be left alone to work on stuff - to teach my classes (which carry plenty of responsibility; I'm still trying to decide what to do about a plagiarized paper where my charge of plagiarism was challenged), to do my research, to follow my hobbies, and to keep my house up without having to be so responsible for other people's live. Because being responsible in that way scares me.

Are some of the people in power just able to ignore the massive crushing responsibilities that brings, or what? It seems that a lot of "bad leaders" of history (e.g., Napoleon) could do just that....forget about the "little people."

Or do I just lack ambition? (Heh. That always makes me think of Hamish MacBeth, who is constantly accused of such....though in many ways, Hamish doesn't have that bad of a life, or so I think)

No comments: