Saturday, March 07, 2015

Yay! It's here!

My stuffed giant isopod came today. The box was sitting on the porch when I got home.

This is one impressive stuffie:

OH HAI

"Oh, HAI!"

It's very well-detailed. (I guess you get what you pay for - it was pretty expensive). The scales are very deep folds of fabric - on the website it shows someone hiding a 5000 Yen note in one of the pockets formed by the scales. (Hm. Interesting. A toy that guards your stuff?)

The legs are amusing to me. I get that some people would totally be squicked out by this but as I study the land-bound cousins of these guys (and as I actually PLAYED with them when I was a child - making little trails for them to walk on and stuff), I think it's actually kind of cute.

And it is big enough to use as a pillow - or, even better, a lap pillow to prop a book on when you read.

And there are all kinds of funny photo set ups you can use this as a prop in. On the website, there's a photo of a woman cradling it, almost like a baby. (It also shows the sheer size of this thing - it is about a half-meter long):

cradle it like a baby

And I think some kind of giant sea creature would be an excellent Bond-villain pet (well, aside from the fact that the creature probably has to stay submerged).

(And in the tradition of posting slightly ridiculous photos of myself:)

"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die"

I was going to caption this "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to DIE" except that's the wrong Bond villain for this. (And despite all my insecurities about my appearance I think I can safely say I'm too pretty to make a convincing Blofeld. And yeah, I guess I kind of had the Dr. Evil expression going on there, I'm more familiar with the Austin Powers movies than I am with classic Bond....)

ETA: IMDB tells me that " I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond. " would work as a quotation in this situation.



And to recreate a scene from a far more kid-friendly movie:

"It's so scaly, I'm gonna DIE!!!!"

IT'S SO SCALY I'M GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!


And:

Isopods I love them.
Isopods I love them.
Iso-iso-isopods, I looove them!
 
Iso-Isopods I could pet one
if they were really real..
And they are!
So I bought one so I could pet it.
And it loves me,
And I love it...

3 comments:

twisted said...

He's adorable!

Nicole said...

All of this is just pure awesome. The pictures, the poem, the isopod itself... I am so jealous.

purlewe said...

I love the pic where you are all Dr. Evil. B'c I think this would be an AWESOME austin powers pet.