Monday, March 09, 2015

early Monday morning

I got up at the time the clock told me it was time to get up to work out. My body, however, kept telling me "What are you DOING? I am still supposed to be asleep."

I had tried going to be a bit earlier last night, but that trick never works - I didn't fall asleep any earlier than if I had stayed up to what had been normal bedtime.

(This week is going to be extra not-fun - three evening meetings this week. While it's true that on Friday I leave for spring break, still, that's a long time between now and then)

The spring time change is always harder for me than the fall one. I especially don't like that I'm going to be on campus an hour before the sun is up. (This is all courtesy of the "oh, we need MORE daylight saving time!" declaration of eight or so years ago. I don't know. I like to be at work at 7 am and it hurts to have to go back to doing it in the dark after a few weeks of having it get light as I'm going to work. I'd like to see it go back to the old schedule.) I'm towards the western edge of a time zone so it stays dark way too late, and stays light way too late, compared to somewhere farther east.

I think the other thing that gets me is "I see no benefit to this, yet I am required to do it" nature of the thing. Having an extra hour of sunlight at the end of the day when I'm tired (especially in the summer, when it's still light out when I want to go to bed) feels like a waste compared to having it when I'm up and ready for work. Perhaps if I golfed or played tennis or rode horses or whatever I might feel differently - but then again, in the summers here, where it's 105 degrees out in the afternoon? I don't care about that extra hour of daylight, it's not getting me outside. Give me an hour in the morning when it's still what passes for "cool" here in the summers.

***
 Wow, Texas has the right idea - this week is spring break. (I don't know if it's just for schoolkids or for universities as well). Give folks a week to adjust before they have to deal with the sun coming up later.

***

At least it looks like winter is over, and it's going to be in the 60s all this week. I was briefly worried for my spring break travels, that we'd get another winter storm and I'd not be able to go. (I hope the weather in Illinois is getting better, too)


No comments: