Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Keeping up motivation

I admit it, I hadn't considered the "professional musicians practice for as long in a day as you are at work" thing recently, but yes, that's true.

I want to keep playing. If I can get past my perfectionism, I do enjoy it. And I can see myself getting better on the couple pieces I recently started working on...and getting better at playing the others without errors.

And anyway: the quilt tops I make aren't perfect. The seams don't always match, the corners of blocks are sometimes slightly off. And yet, that doesn't bother me at all, unlike the occasional sour note I hit. I don't know why that is....maybe I figure the finished quilt, even if it doesn't LOOK perfect, still serves its purpose, whereas with playing the piano, it's more evanescent and the performance IS the purpose. But anyway.

I can't make more time than about an hour in a day to practice but there's still that. And I am better at playing now than when I started

I just need to keep up my own motivation.

(This is grabbed from JoyfulInsanity's Deviant Art page):






I'm also still working on the Queen Chrysalis amigurumi. SO. MANY. HOLES. I'm up to the wings but doing all the holes is really sapping my desire to crochet. I'm glad I'm almost done with this (the first wing is nearly done, and after that, all that remains is the second wing, the crowny thing, and then the eyes - which are felt and will be faster to do). It will be an impressive amigurumi when it's done, but whoa, this was a big project.

That said? I have the Miss Cheerilee pattern and yarn set aside and it keeps staring at me when I'm in my office here at home. So perhaps that will be next. (But I still kind of want to do a Maud Pie....I did the full Maud Pie today in soils, it was the Parent Materials lecture so I got to talk all about igneous and sedimentary and metamorphic rocks....

It also struck me that if somepony referred to another pony as "dumb as a box of rocks," Maud would probably get all intrigued about that pony....)

No comments: