Wednesday, January 21, 2015

High Street Vest

I didn't get this photographed before, wasn't wearing anything that would work with it.

But another thing I finished over break was the High Street Vest. This is a pattern that calls for sportweight (you could probably make it work with dk, though it would yield a slightly stiffer fabric). I had seen the fairly-new "Galileo" yarn from KnitPicks and wanted to make something out of it, but not something that took tons of the yarn.

Galileo is a blend of bamboo and wool, so it has a little bit of shininess to it and I like that. 

This vest took just over five balls. If you did the smaller size (I think I did the 42" size) you could probably get away with five balls. Or if you made it cropped shorter than what I did.

I like the color. It's that "weird" green that's somewhere between green, gray, and yellow:

high street vest

I like the pattern, too: nice and simple, and, unlike some, she doesn't say "Reverse shaping for other side" - I can do that, but sometimes if I'm tired or knitting in a noisy place or something, it's harder to think of how to do it.

I think this would also be nice done in stripes. Or maybe with a variegated type yarn. (Or, oooooh, one of the Noro sportweight color-shifting yarns). It's a free pattern (available as a .pdf) and you can get it from Hello Knitty and I think, also from Ravelry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really love the vest and the color- i've had a kind of 'back-of-the-mind' yearning for a real vest lately, so the pic of you wearing yours has really pricked my interest again-

btw, know you make/enjoy amigurumi patterns and saw this on ravelry- think some are even freebies
:http://www.ravelry.com/designers/amigurumi-askna

have a good day-
barb in texas

Lynn said...

"Hello Knitty" - Ha, I love clever names.

I like that green too.

purlewe said...

Great vest, great color, looks FAB on you!!