Thursday, September 25, 2014

That may have worked

So my new gmail address, in case I can never, ever access the old one again, is ecorbettbiologist@gmail.com. Yeah, it's long and clunky and ugly but what I wanted was already taken and at least now I won't be getting e-mails for people who seem like me, but aren't me.


 But GAH. Google, why you gotta change stuff?

It apparently added this e-mail address to my Blogger account, which is every so slightly creepy.

DANGIT. It won't let me import from my old netcommander.com address; it says I don't have the right POP address, but I'm pretty sure it's the one I set up with. Gee, if it would let me SEE my old netcommander.com account maybe I could look stuff up?

Google, you are stupid. Apparently you dropped the "don't" part of "don't be evil" a few years back.

ETA: Well, I added my "new" gmail address, so I should still be able to post here.

And this is surpassingly weird: after "changing" my supposed old e-mail address "after which you will no longer be able to log in with this e-mail address," now I can get to the old netcommander.com address after all.

Hm. I wonder where my comment notifications will be sent. Someone want to test that?

Well, everything works at work. And apparently, Google's comment of "once you 'upgrade' to a .gmail account, you will not be able to log in under your old address" didn't mean, "We're throwing that address into a fiery furnace and you will never be able to see it, or any of the email you had saved in it, again." It just means it's a tab on my Google account, and it's just a couple extra clicks to get to it. So I can live with that, I guess, and anyway, I have a backup address now in case Vyve decides to pull the plug on the old .netcommander accounts. 

And yeah, that was a surprise to me because it seemed illogical: if I were doing it, I'd set it up as more of a "hey, do you want to create a secondary .gmail account so that we can link your blogger account to it, but keep your main e-mail as your primary account?" Except then I guess Google gets less chance to slap ads in the sidebar (the new gmail account I created has ads; my old netcommander one doesn't. But then, I PAY (partly, though most of the cost is the access) to have the netcommander account so I'd hope it wouldn't have ads)

But I did genuinely believe I'd lose access to my old account forever (or, forever unless I got a computer whiz's help) and maybe lose access to THIS account by doing the "hey, it only takes a minute!" bit. I dunno. I still think google is being stupid about this.

1 comment:

fillyjonk said...

testing.....testing